Kolsch sub Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
So, I just made a big hop purchase at a great price and I can't justify spending $4 an oz anymore. I should have gotten a pound of hallertauer or tettnang, but I didn't. I need opinions on which hops I should use for a kolsch I'm making this weekend. I have:

Cascade
Amarillo
Willamette
Magnum
First Gold
Fuggle
Columbus

Now, keeping close to the style, Willamette, Fuggle, First Gold would be decent. I've never used First Gold before, but I'm intrigued.

What do you think?

If you are trying to get an authentic flavor, I'd bitter with Magnum and use a little bit of First Gold for flavor. If you do want use an aroma addition, I'd add no more that 1/4 oz. - if you are looking to be authentic. Of course, it's your beer so use whichever ones you like.

How spicy are willamette hops compared to Haller/Tett, Yoop?

Oh, definitely different than the traditional hallertauer. Much more like fuggles and EKG (which I believe they are related to). Not really spicy, but floral a bit, too. I've used it in an Irish red, an American amber, a Fat Tire clone, etc. I really like the flavor, though!

If you want more authentic, I'd go with pjj2ba's suggestion!

Ok. My question would be why use magnum for bittering when you can just use first gold? Magnum is a nice clean bittering hop, but it is strong and my pet peeve is making a low IBU beer and having it come out even a touch too bitter. Would there be a noticeable difference? I was thinking of First Gold for bittering and just touch (1/4) at 10 and flameout.

When I use a higher AA hop for bittering I almost always use it as a FWH addition. I find this cuts down on the harshness (as does lowering the carbonates in my water). For me, less hop debris makes it easier to recirculate while cooling (plate chiller) and not have my kettle filter plug up. Plus it is less expensive to use 1/4 oz vesus 1 oz, but this is a minor point.

Here's my latest recipe. Came in at 20 IBUs and was less bitter than most, but not all of the Koslch I tried in Cologne this summer. I would have to say this tasted quite authentic

5 gal. recipe (80% efficiency)

5.75 lbs Pilsner malt
1.5 lbs Vienna malt
0.5 lbs Wheat malt

12 gm Perle (~6.5% AA) First Wort Hopped
12 gm Spalt 20 min.
9 gm Liberty 20 min.
7 gm Liberty 5 min.

Step mash 20min:20:20 122F:148F:158F, then to 170F, and drained and sparge.

White lab Kolsch yeast 029. Fermented at 62F

OG =1.048
FG = 1.012

I really like willamette as well, it's got that nice floral, earthy, herbal thing going on. But, if you do want to go kinda traditional like Yoop said go with the Mag/FG combo...though take pjj2ba's advice with a grain of sand, because he's deep fried and sauteed hops for his beer...crazy mofo. :D

Though I appreciate the recipe, I have neither those hops or the equipment/time to step mash. I'm going with First Gold all the way through because I don't want to open my new 1# bag of Magnum for a puny 1/4 oz. Plus I'm gonna do a single hopped amber using First Gold right after the kolsch (yeast cake) just to get a better idea on the hop since I've never used it.

As far as the recipe, I was gonna go

8# Kolsch Malt
1#Wheat Malt
.5#Light Munich

WLP029 @ 62-65F

The vienna sparked my interest though and I have some on hand. Hmm....

If you have Vienna, use that! The grain bills for my Kolsch vs Alt are the same except I swap the Vienna for Munich (Alt) (plus 2 oz. of debittered roasted barley in the Alt). The Alts are definitely more malty and fuller flavored

Different hops and different yeast though

Back