Kolsch, octobefest,........Which beer next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just did a kolsch last week using a kolsch yeast and have an octoberfest planned to go on the yeast cake. Any thoughts for a third beer to throw on the second yeast cake? Maibock/Helles?

I have a similar issue but mine revolves around 2 smacked - smack packs of Dennys fav 50 (Free from my LHBS because of date but they are expanded.). I have a few pounds of vienna, bonlander munich, munich a pound of carpils??? and some roasted barley/ black malt.

I am feeling an o-fest stout in the works due to the free-ness of supplies. DAMN YOU LHBS, friends/fellow brewers that gave me free base malts... I will show you... Just wait... (FWIW I have plenty of stout hops that need used too.)

Is there a BJCP cat for this? nope. Do I care? same answer... ;)

I did the same thing recently with a kolsch yeast, but I did a kolsch first, then a schwarzbier and last an Oktoberfest. Surprisingly the o'fest came out the best. A helles would be a good one, too.

Kolsch: fermented for 12 days at 62-64*F, lagered in secondary for 28 days at roughly 44*F in my garage, temps stayed more or less around 44*F during that time, some sulfur notes at bottling, but supposedly they will age out.

Schwarzbier: fermented for 13 days at 64*F, lagered in secondary for 2 months and 10 days (in my garage), at 45*F for first month or so then weather got warmer and temps in garage were around 65*F

Oktoberfest: fermented for 26 days (ferm done after 10 days, but life got in the way) at 61-65*F, racked to corny keg and am currently lagering in my kegerator at 37*F, it's been 13 days lagering so far.

The past two years I have done, in this order:

1. Kolsch

2. Oktoberfest

3. Dunkel

All with the same yeast.

EDIT: I should actually start planning this pretty soon, so I have proper time to lager everything.

Would love to lager this, but I've got too many beers on the list to keep my fermentation fridge full for that long. Basically picked kolsch for that reason.

Took grav reading today. It was down to 1.010 after 10 days. Transferred to two corny kegs lower temp gradually in fermenter until it's at my serving fridge temp. Think this yeast will work at 35 degrees?

Had a great dunkel recently. Was planning one, but not with this yeast. Might have to rethink that.

P.S. this one's smelly. Didn't even open my fridge to see if fermentation started. Smelt it three feet away through the door. I used Wyeast btw. Don't think I mentioned that.

Back