Kolbach Index

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
Does the Kolbach Index of the base grain effect the mouthfeel of the finished beer? I'm trying to diagnose a thinness and I noticed that the base grain has fluctuated from 40ish up to 45ish.

The Kolbach Index is just the soluble:total nitrogen (S/T or SNR) ratio, expressed as a percentage. An over-modified malt could affect mouthfeel, but I'd be surprised if any major maltster let it get out of hand like that. 45% is on the high end of normal, but not excessive. The pale malt I'm using right now is at 45.7% and I haven't noticed any changes in the beers.

I've been using Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt for a while now and get the COA for each sack. It has actually varied from 40 to 47 but I don't have notes from what recipe I used the sack that was 47. The mouthfeel issue could be due to other factors, just though I'd ask. Protien seems to be an important factor to keep track of.

Protien seems to be an important factor to keep track of.

Yes indeed. We've all heard the mantra, don't do a (too long) protein rest or you will get a thin tasting beer. By acknowledging that too long a protein rest is bad for body, you would think that would be a clue about the role of proteins in contributing to beer body. Yet most folks seem to only think about the saccharification temperature (and dextrin levels) when dealing with the body of a beer.

Really the biggest change in the related recipes is the yeast. Was using wlp001 and mashing at 150. Changed to wlp002 and mashed at 145 which gave the same attenuation. The beers with 002 had the grain with higher soluble protien and the thinner mouthfeel. Same starting and finishing gravities.

Latest posts

Back