Knock Out Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
When doing a "flame out" hop addition, I added the oz of hops called for into my hop spider just as I was turning the gas off on the burner. I covered the kettle and set the timer for 5 minutes before removing the hop bag and started the IC cooling process.

When knock out is called for, is there a suggested/recommended time this final hop addition should be steeped? I arbitrarily chose 5 min but looking to see what other brewers feel is appropriate?

Edit: I had other hop additions at 60, 15 and 5 just so you'd have this info.

I usually add at flameout and let them sit for a few minutes, then start cooling. I take the hops out when the wort is cooled. I have also cooled to 170, then added hops for 15 minutes. I don't know if it really made any difference between the two procedures.

For IPAs I usually whirlpool for about 20 mins before chilling. Hop flavor is better in those beers than 0-5 mins before cooling, but that also depends on how much I add.

I usually let the last hop addition sit for a few minutes. I figure the recipe calls for late hops because it wants us to smell hops and taste hops in the beer. The best way to utilize those hops is to let them sit for a little bit.
When I brew ipa's and apa's I do a 20 minute hop stand. All the other beers with flame out additions I let it sit for 10 mins or so.

Likewise, I'll do at least 15 to 20 minutes, then begin to cool and remove at about 80c. I've also tried adding flameout hops at cooler temps but struggled to notice a difference (although it makes sense more oils would stay in solution). A brewing blog (I can't remember which) did an experiment which found no difference either

Dump the hops in, not in your spider, and start cooling immediately. If you remove the hops you remove the flavor left in them. Leaving the hops in boiling hot wort for 5 minutes drives off some of the aromatic oils (think of the aroma you are losing) and adds bitterness too. Dump everything into the fermenter and add the yeast. When the ferment is over your hops will be in the trub layer covered by the yeast. This is where you separate the beer from the trub by siphoning above it.

Back