Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceweldon

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering how often you make pre-packaged kits as opposed to coming up with your own recipe? I'll be brewing my 5th batch this weekend 2 are recipe's I put together and 3 are kits, Austin's $20 deal was too good to pass up. I was just curious what ratio for other people was. Thanks

I like kits. I do mostly AG now, but have from time to time grabbed extract kits due to time constraints, or when I want to make a style I am unfamiliar with I will get an AG kit.

I have always been very pleased with the AG kits from AHS, btw.

My first three batches were kits, sort of... I modified all of them to some degree (the last one to a greater degree than the first two)... After that, I started coming up with my own recipes... Been making great beer ever since... :D

I do, sometimes, look at other recipes for reference, but I still tweak them to make them my own. Just feels like something I need to do... I equate this to the same way I cook... I look at it the same way I do making chili... Some people use pre-packaged seasoning mixes where all they need to do is cook up some meat, add water, and dump that in... I make mine from scratch. I might not get the exact same thing every time, but it's always great.

I'm pretty new to this game, but I love starting with a kit and then tweaking the next few batches myself. It helps me see what different changes (yeast, hops or temps) in recipe turn into.

I love tinkering with kits the coopers kits play well with tinkering ala fruits and veggies added to them.

Back