Kitchen sink saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoesInBoston

Reaction score
I had a handful of leftover bits from different recipes that I used to throw together a saison. I have no idea how this is going to turn out. Expectations aren't too high. Recipe is below.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WY3711
Yeast Starter: None
Pre boil volume: 6.75 gallons
Post boil volume: 5.5 gallons
Original Gravity (measured): 1.054
Final Gravity: TBD
IBU: 21
Estimated SRM: 10
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days at 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

7.0 lbs 2-Row malt (2 SRM) 80%
1.0 lbs White Wheat malt (2 SRM) 11.4%
0.5 lbs Melanoidin malt (25 SRM) 5.7%
0.25 lbs Dark Candi Sugar (275 SRM) 2.9%

1.00 oz Tettnanger [5.3% AA] - Boil 90.0 min
0.50 oz Saphir [3.80% AA] - Boil 5.0 min

I did a step mash for this. 45 minutes at 145F and 30 minutes at 160F. I pitched yesterday around 6PM and the temp was a tad high, around 78. By 6AM this morning the temp had come down to 69-70 and there was constant airlock activity.

Took a gravity reading yesterday. I am at 1.010 and it tasted pretty awesome.

Excited for this to finish up so I can fill my keg with it.

I have lots of misc oz's of european hops hanging about so I may follow your lead and throw together an experimental saison. With the nice warm weather here it should be just right to whip up a few summertime brews.

enjoy

I think that sounds really interesting. The dark candi should add some nice depth.

Gravity was steady at 1.010 last night so I racked it to a keg and hooked up the CO2. The sample had a nice, hazy golden color and tasted a bit like bananas and spice. Interesting brew for sure. I assume the banana flavor is from the yeast still in suspension. Some time in the keg at 38 degrees will start to clear some of the yeast out.

I've heard that this yeast almost always attenuates down to single digits, but mine stopped at 1.010. Could that have been because of the low diastatic power of the melanoidin malt?

This turned out great. Very drinkable. This keg won't last long.

1399338122338.jpg

Surprised it ended so high. I've never had it stop above 1.005. How did the dark candi come through?

The beer overall is a tad sweet, not sure if the Dark Candi contributed to that at all as there was only 4 oz of it.

I was surprised at the high FG, too. Tested it with a 2nd hydrometer just to be sure and got the same result. Wondering if the melanoidin was partly a cause of this or if I just wasn't patient enough and transferred it to a keg fairly early.

3711 will usualliy finish very low. Maybe you pulled it off the yeast to quickly and that is why it stopped where it did. Everytime I use that yeast it never finishes above 1.004

Back