Kitchen Remodel (Pipe Dream)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheitt

Reaction score
My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and when I joked about installing a couple beer taps she gave me a thumbs up (I've got a good wife).

Here's the deal: The kitchen is located over a crawlspace that has about a 4 foot clearance, is insulated (spray on foam on walls, thick vapor barrier on the earth, cross bents sealed air tight) and wired with electricity down there for lighting and a dehumidifier. I was thinking about putting a small fridge down there and running insulated beer tubing up through the kitchen floor to the taps.

My questions are:
1) Am I nuts?
2) I'd need a fridge/freezer with a front door because I wouldn't be able to lift and fit a corny keg into a chest freezer with the 4 foot clearance. So what sort/size of fidge would need to accommodate two or three kegs (I have pin lock kegs converted to ball lock)?
3) How would I insulate the beer lines running out of the fridge, through the crawlspace into the overhead kitchen?
4) Are there any other issues I'm not thinking about?

Thanks for indulging my fantasy.
michael

Back