Kitchen-Aid Grain Mill(Beating a Dead Horse)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homesteader82

Reaction score
Alright folks, I know this has been discussed, but everyone mentions it not being worth the money to BUY a grain mill for a Kitchen-Aid mixer to crush malt because, for the money, you can get a roller. I have also seen a ton of people recommend a corona-style grinder, but that seems like a cheaper version of the Kitchen-Aid. The deal is, I already own a Kitchen-Aid grain mill as well as pasta rollers. Here are my questions for anyone with direct experience;

1.) Is it worth even trying to use my kitchen-aid, or am I wasting malt? Why would the corona style be any better?
2.) Is there a successful way of using the pasta-roller without ruining it?
3.) What about the linguini or pasta cutter-roller? Would that just cut right through them nicely?
4.) Has anyone adapted the meat grinder to crush/cut grain?
Thanks so much in advance!

Alright folks, I know this has been discussed, but everyone mentions it not being worth the money to BUY a grain mill for a Kitchen-Aid mixer to crush malt because, for the money, you can get a roller. I have also seen a ton of people recommend a corona-style grinder, but that seems like a cheaper version of the Kitchen-Aid. The deal is, I already own a Kitchen-Aid grain mill as well as pasta rollers. Here are my questions for anyone with direct experience;

1.) Is it worth even trying to use my kitchen-aid, or am I wasting malt? Why would the corona style be any better?
2.) Is there a successful way of using the pasta-roller without ruining it?
3.) What about the linguini or pasta cutter-roller? Would that just cut right through them nicely?
4.) Has anyone adapted the meat grinder to crush/cut grain?
Thanks so much in advance!

I don't have the grain mill, so I can't comment on that. Will it crack the grains or does it produce flour?

I do have the pasta cutters and the meat grinder attachment. Pasta rollers are not gnurled, so it would seem that the grain wouldn't get pulled down into them very well (if at all). The meat grinder is based on a plastic screw and a metal shearing propeller. If the holes were sized correctly on the output grate there, it might work.

I wouldn't risk ruining my mixer though. Also, I would not mill indoors because of the dust it produces.

I bought my mill used for $60 (JSP MaltMill). I don't see the economy or utility in using the KA mixer. Dead horse.

Your Kitchenaid would probably work but it's so expensive compared to a Corona style mill. You'd be wishing you hadn't used it if it frys the motor.

Our local home brew shop has one of the old-fashioned meat grinders (with the hand crank) that they use for grinding grains. It works OK.

Thanks for the suggestions! I should say that I have one of the "professional" kitchen aids and I don't have any worry about burning out the motor.

Thanks for the suggestions! I should say that I have one of the "professional" kitchen aids and I don't have any worry about burning out the motor.

Don't be too sure about that...my 575 watt "pro" model started getting pretty hot after grinding 10lbs of meat. I shut it off after it started emitting a smell.

I have used my kitchen aid grain mill for five AG batches now, grinding between 8-13lbs of grain each batch. I use the largest setting for the 2-row, and a couple notches tighter for wheat. I grab the first handful of the grind each time for an inspection. There is a fair amount of flour, as it uses more of a tearing action rather than a crushing. Most husks seem to be shredded to a small degree, mostly intact. I have only had one stuck sparge using a SS braid, on a dunkleweizen with 55% wheat, no rice hulls ever used. I have been getting 75-80% efficiency on my mashes while batch sparging.

The biggest problem here though, I must say, is my paranoia of burning the motor out on SWMBO's precious machine, it can heat up rather fast. I will grind the full grain bill for a recipe, outdoors, in 3 different batches. I give about 15 min breaks between each session. I also leave a small fan pointed at the machine for the whole duration. Grinding a 10lb bill takes around 45 minutes using this method. I am sure it could be done a lot quicker but this way seems safer.

The grain mill attachment is something we already had before I started brewing. It seems to do the job. I have never used anything else so cannot compare. It works - helps makes beer - I'm happy.

I've got one. I would rather have a legit grain mill made for brewing but wife got it for me for Christmas one year. I must say, I'm generally happy with it.

There is a danger to overheating, so it does take a while, but I've usually got other things going on in the kitchen so the extra time doesn't bother me. It's also small compared to other grain mills I've seen so if you've already got a KA and space is an issue, it becomes a fairly attractive option.

Back