Kinda high SG ... not bad thing though ya?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
Brewed my 2nd batch today, kit from Midwest for a cream stout. Says the gravity should be around 1.044 to 1.048. Mine was around ~1.054

I followed everything, what I thought, to the T. I aerated by dumping wort + top off water between two buckets, then one last time thru a strainer to catch most of the hops. I then siphoned off a sample from the start of the siphon from bucket to carboy and set aside. I figure it should be well mixed at this point no?

Says it should finish around 1.012 - 1.016. If it finishes there, I'll just be extra giggly after a couple bottles :D

Heres a picture

DSC_0026.jpg

If its a grain kit its a possibility/probability. If it's extract, it probably just isn't mixed 100% or is a volume issue.

Extract is what it is and therefor will be the same as long as the volume is equal.

i.e. a pound of sugar = a pound of sugar...

I'd say that's within an acceptable margin of error. Between possibly a little more extract in the kit or a little less water to not being completely mixed (even though it appears you did a good job there) or slightly inaccurate markings on your bucket, a few points gravity points can go either way.

It does look delicious, though!

Sweet :) I'm ASSUMING its correct volume, but I've been reading where buckets arent apparently marked correctly. I think I will check the volume markings here before my next batch, and also mark my carboy. This is my first time using and I have not marked it up. I did with my mead carboys, slipped my mind for this one.

Tasted pretty good as well when I tasted the sample. I'll try again obviously before bottling, but I may mix in some additional lactose to give it an even milkier sweeter taste! :p

Another mistake I have seen is people making volume adjustment when wort is still very hot. For example, say you adjust your volume up to the 5 gallon mark in your kettle just before cooling the wort. You will notice that the volume shrinks to about 4.8 gallons after cooling the wort to 75 F. This is due to the density of 200 F water being about 5% lower than density of 70 F water.

What size is your carboy? Even if it is six, it only looks about 2/3rd full. This would of course easily explain the high OG. I just made the one above yours on the Midwest site, the Bourbon Old Ale; good luck with yours!

Six gallons

Topped off once wort was cooled so shouldnt be from that

Anyone with six gallon carboy able t comment if this is not at the level it should be ?

Well, it seems like everyone is doin it wrong since we all have different levels :)

I don't think it is a matter of right or wrong, only trying to help you with your original question which is to expalin a higher than expected OG from a kit :)

Cool that the yeasties have started their work. This is one fantastically fun hobby!

Amen to that! I really wish I had marked my carboy with volumes... That will be the first thing I do once I clean er up!

Heres my beer now. Pitched around 10 or 11 hours ago.

Already a pretty big trub/yeast cake. Nice krausen on top. Not too vigorous, just slow and steady :)

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

mmmmmm.... looks awesome!

i need to primary in a carboy... i wanna watch!!

I know! This is my 2nd batch and I decided I wnted to move to somethin clear! :D I'm loving it, but I think I missed the storm of activity :( I dunno though, since I've never seen one in person before.

And yep, is a Sanyo. Its my fridge from college (graduated in 08). Been in storage since, and realized it may be a good ferment chamber when I first thought about startin up brewing. Took all shelves out and stuff out of door, and things worked out great

Next I wanna convince my stepdad to give me his kegerator (real deal) since hes never once used it in our bar

Some pictures from this morning. Nice and tasty lookin krausen! I hope the beer pours with this thick of a head once its bottled and carb'd!

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Latest posts

Back