Kids, who needs 'em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrodm

Reaction score
What's the worst thing that's happened to your beer as a result of your kids? Maybe they pulled off an airlock or dropped something in your fermentation bucket? Well, I think I now have that one-upped. (By the way, I searched for something like this but didn't see anything--if someone knows of a pre-existing thread let me know and I'll repost there.)

So I was brewing a batch of AG stout this weekend, had my mash going in my round 10 gal. MLT cooler. Everything was going like clockwork, until I went to open the valve on the MLT to sparge. I opened it, and nothing came out. Stuck sparge I think (even though the MLT was full of wort at this point), so I stick my paddle in and stir up the grains really well. I had done a multi-step infusion, so there was plenty of water in there, probably 3.5 or four gallons, so there's no reason that it should be stuck. I open the ball valve again--nothing. I stir it around three or four more times, with no success, so now I'm thinking it's a problem with my filter--I use a rocket-type screen on the inside of my MLT underneath a false bottom--so I try to lift up the false bottom to see if I can clear away any debris that's clogging up the filter from the inside. Of course, with 12 lbs. of grain plus 4 gal of wort on top of it, the false bottom doesn't want to cooperate, and all I succeed in doing is basically getting a bunch of my grains down below the false bottom.

So now I'm a little pissed, since I'm thinking I'm going to have to either rack or pour this worth through a strainer in order to separate it from the malt--I know that HSA is not as big of a deal as it's often made out to be, but I still didn't want to go through the hassle. Finally, I decide to pull off the tube running from the MLT to the brew kettle--maybe a grain got stuck inside the ball valve somehow and I can knock it loose. I get a straightened coat hanger and stick it into the spigot, and out comes...a huge chunk of MUD!

Now, I had left my MLT and assorted components on the back porch last week when I brewed in order to let them dry before storing them in the garage. And apparently, my six year-old son thought the spigot on the ball valve would make a great tool to dig in the back yard with. He had the good sense to wipe the dirt off of the outside before he put it back, but he didn't think about the huge gob of mud that digging in the dirt had compacted on the inside of the spigot.

Anways, once I realized what the problem was, I used the hanger to scrape out the valve as much as possible, then took a bit of rag with some alcohol on it and rammed it in there a couple of times. I tossed the first 12 oz. or so of wort that I vorlaufed, but other than that I continued as normal, and the beer seemed to come out fine.

Needless to say, Junior got a stern talking-to about not touching Daddy's beer brewing equipt.

So, other brewing parents, what's the worst thing YOUR kids have ever done to your beer?

(And, just to be fair, my kids also grind my grains and carry stuff around for me on brew-day, so they're not all bad!)

I have a 5 year old, but when he was 2 he dropped a star wars figure (Darth Maul I think) into my bottling bucket while racking......

well to answer the thread title...

you do!!
you did say after all the beer came out fine AND they also help during brewday. take it with a grain of salt, ermm or a lump of mud?
i always disassemble and inspect valves, hoses and copper manifold every brewday, bet you will now 2!

It's true--I'll take some limited hijinks on their part in exchange for their help and interest, and I should've inspected the valve before-hand. I'm pretty nuts about cleaning up during and immediately after brewing, so my gear is always ready to go off the shelf when it's brew time. But I'll definitely check my valves before installing from now on!

Classic you-know-you're-a-homebrewer moment: going in to the LHBS with my 6yo son (the one who fouled my ball valve) to buy some specialty grains, and he says, "Dad, which base malt are you using this time?" The guy standing next to me in the grain room just started laughing.

I came home late from work one night and went to check on my IPA I had brewed earlier that day. I found the airlock on the floor and thought it was kind of wierd since I had just pitched 8 hours before and there was no way it blew off. I figured it was the kids but I couldn't see if they dropped anything in. Well, fast forward three weeks when I was racking to my secondary and I notice some strange things in the yeast cake. Sure enough there were about 6 or 7 crayons stuck in the muck. But I said screw it, too late now anyways. I still dry hopped it and it turned out to be one of the best IPA's I've made yet. So I dubbed thee 'Crayola IPA'

I came home late from work one night and went to check on my IPA I had brewed earlier that day. I found the airlock on the floor and thought it was kind of wierd since I had just pitched 8 hours before and there was no way it blew off. I figured it was the kids but I couldn't see if they dropped anything in. Well, fast forward three weeks when I was racking to my secondary and I notice some strange things in the yeast cake. Sure enough there were about 6 or 7 crayons stuck in the muck. But I said screw it, too late now anyways. I still dry hopped it and it turned out to be one of the best IPA's I've made yet. So I dubbed thee 'Crayola IPA'

Classic!

Excellent. Hope you remembered what color combination it was, in case you want to repeat the recipe!

Excellent. Hope you remembered what color combination it was, in case you want to repeat the recipe!

Haha my wife said the same thing. Na they were from one of those damn 100 something packs that have 15 shades of each color. But what I couldn't believe is the labels on them were pretty much gone like they were eaten away. Maybe yeast like to eat sugar ANNND crayola labels!!

I was chilling my wort for a porter in the kitchen sink, 5 yo son finished his lunch and tossed his nearly empty milk cup into the sink. I fished the cup out and put the pot back on the stove. Raised it back to a boil and chilled again. The beer came out fine and i keep a lid on my brew pot now.

Me, I need them and they need me! Brewing beer has helped my oldest one with biology and chemistry, my middle child math whiz helps me with all my recipe calculations and all three help me brew and bottle! We all have a great time as a family and yes, there are some occasional mishaps but its all part of learning and you can't beat the family time!

I had planned to brew a batch a few years ago while my wife took the kids over to a friends house to play. My youngest son came down with the flu so he stayed home with me. I was going to cancel my brew day but he fell asleep so I thought I could sneak one in, this was when I still did extract so brew days were quicker. I was almost done when he woke up and came out, he was three at the time. He brought the bucket I had given him in case he had to throw up during his nap out in the garage and then sat in the recliner. I had the beer cooled and had stepped away to sanatize my thief so I could sample the gravity. I heard him say something and then start vomiting on the floor, I shouted at him to go to the bucket. He obliged, however he misjudged which bucket was his and proceeded to vomit spaghetti O's into my batch of beer. I managed not to get angry but I decided to give up on the brew day.

No, I did not turn it into a lambic. I poured it out into the canyon.

Wow that's a bummer. Yeah, you can come back from almost anything when it comes to messing up beer, but spaghetti-o vomit is one of the few things I think would be tough to correct for.

Lately I've been breaking up my brewing throughout the day. I start the mash mid-morning, heat up sparge water during lunch, then sparge during the hour long nap/quiet time.

A week or two ago I had just finished vorlauf and started sparging when I hear crying and one of my kids calling my name. I stopped everything and went back to see what the problem was. Turns out one of my kids had a pretty nasty accident of the #2 kind that required a wardrobe change and some nasty clean up.

I got back to brewing about 20 minutes later and had to do a quicker sparge than I like but besides that it was no where as bad as some previous posts.

Latest posts

Back