Kickstarter for SS Mash Tun, Kettle and Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good to me. Anyone have any experience with Kickstarters and their likelihood of success?

Since they are looking for another $37k within 3 weeks, unless they get a big investor I don't see it.

Also, stuff looks nice and well built but a stainless mash run that doesn't take direct heat left me scratching my head a bit.

Pricing wasn't clear either. Are the prices listed at 40% off or is that discount already included?

Well, if you want an insulated, 3/8 threaded stainless mash tun, at that size, it's a good deal. They went with kickstarter over a bank loan because there's far less risk in going with kickstarter, and it gets them free press.

Looks like they're very similar to SS brewtech's products, even to include their new mash tun, which are made in china. These just don't look as pretty, and their fermenter isn't on legs. I'd love to get the SS fermenter for that kind of money, but I agree that coming up with the rest of the money in the next few weeks looks grim.

Hi, I just found this thread. I didn't know there was a discussion going on about our Kickstarter here. If you don't mind, I can answer a few of your questions about the products and funding campaign.

First of all, sorry about the long response, but there are a lot of good points brought up in this thread that I want to respond to in detail.

Pricing wasn't clear either. Are the prices listed at 40% off or is that discount already included?

The pricing was confusing. We've cleaned that up as best we can. The 40% off is from estimated retail prices in the future. We've just removed all mention of estimated retail prices and moved the focus to our Kickstarter prices.

Am I reading it correctly? $119 + $30 (s/h) for a 14-gallon SS fermentor with 3-piece ball valve?

Yes, it's $119 plus $30 shipping (US) for a 14 gallon fermenter with a 3-piece ball valve. The price is low because we are selling at wholesale prices on the Kickstarter, and we added the ball valve at cost. The estimated retail price is around $180 at this point. But again, that's just an estimation.

unless they get a big investor I don't see it.

As far as success of the campaign goes, we are right on track. The campaign is only 28 days long. After 6 days, we have reached 23% of our goal. By Kickstarter's estimates, we have about an 80% chance to succeed at this point.

Why can't four people put together $40,000 in loans?

We already have about $40,000 ready to invest in this project, with an additional credit line of about $15,000. We need $40,000 more so we can buy materials in bulk and produce in large quantities, which in turn, keeps the prices low.

Looks like they're very similar to SS brewtech's products, even to include their new mash tun, which are made in china. These just don't look as pretty, and their fermenter isn't on legs.

I agree the SSBrewTech mash tun looks prettier than ours. But our insulated mash tun is $209 including shipping. Theirs is $395.

And if you want to pay an extra $89 for a pair of legs on a 7 gallon fermenter, our products aren't for you.

Hi, I just found this thread. I didn't know there was a discussion going on about our Kickstarter here. If you don't mind, I can answer a few of your questions about the products and funding campaign.

First of all, sorry about the long response, but there are a lot of good points brought up in this thread that I want to respond to in detail.

The pricing was confusing. We've cleaned that up as best we can. The 40% off is from estimated retail prices in the future. We've just removed all mention of estimated retail prices and moved the focus to our Kickstarter prices.

Yes, it's $119 plus $30 shipping (US) for a 14 gallon fermenter with a 3-piece ball valve. The price is low because we are selling at wholesale prices on the Kickstarter, and we added the ball valve at cost. The estimated retail price is around $180 at this point. But again, that's just an estimation.

As far as success of the campaign goes, we are right on track. The campaign is only 28 days long. After 6 days, we have reached 23% of our goal. By Kickstarter's estimates, we have about an 80% chance to succeed at this point.

We already have about $40,000 ready to invest in this project, with an additional credit line of about $15,000. We need $40,000 more so we can buy materials in bulk and produce in large quantities, which in turn, keeps the prices low.

I agree the SSBrewTech mash tun looks prettier than ours. But our insulated mash tun is $209 including shipping. Theirs is $395.

And if you want to pay an extra $89 for a pair of legs on a 7 gallon fermenter, our products aren't for you.

Your MT has the same flaw I see with SS's. No way to recirc if you use herms/rims. How is the lid made, could I drill through it and add a bulkhead easily?

What kind of a "package price" could you pull for a 15gal MT w/ false bottom and 7gal fermenter w/ball valve?

Hi, the thread is about discussing your products, and I shared my opinion. I never said anything negative about your products but stated facts based on my observations, something I would think you'd be interested in hearing being an up and coming business.

Hi, the thread is about discussing your products, and I shared my opinion. I never said anything negative about your products but stated facts based on my observations, something I would think you'd be interested in hearing being an up and coming business. I was considering backing your products but it seems as though you feel your products aren't for me.

Don't get touchy, I think he was just responding according to their business model; step up in quality but on the cheap.

And I'm actually looking for a fermentor NOT on legs to fit my freezer and I think this 14g one will work out perfect. And the $150 price can't be beat.

Don't get touchy, I think he was just responding according to their business model; step up in quality but on the cheap.

And I'm actually looking for a fermentor NOT on legs to fit my freezer and I think this 14g one will work out perfect. And the $150 price can't be beat.

Not touchy, just speaking my opinion as forums are designed for such! Removed perceived negative comment to not get panties in bunches.
Also, still backed this product.

I'm curious about the false bottom design and whether or not the MLT can be 'easily' drilled out for a recirculation fitting.

On another note to the owners, another good way to differentiate yourselves from the competition would be with a bottom drain on the MLT. I have a bottom drain on my Stout-Tanks MLT, and it is the absolute bee's knees.

If there was a bottom drain insulated MLT with a recirculation fitting (lets make it all tri-clamp while I'm fantasizing) I would shell out big bucks for that. I can cave on the tri-clamp, as I can add those.

Back to my point, there aren't many offering a bottom drain on the MLT yet, despite it being the a fantastic feature. I wish I had my HLT as well.

Good luck on the kickstarter. Even if it isn't a product that seems like a good fit for me, I always like to see our equipment evolve.

Looks like exactly what I'm looking for from a fermenter. Was looking at DIYing my own but at this price point there is little reason for me to do so now. Going to stick with my glass carboys for now

A flat base, SS and the right size for my fermentation chamber.

Best of luck with the funding. Hope you reach your goal and I get my FV in September.

Any thought given to adding a second hole in the lid for a thermowell?

Hi, the thread is about discussing your products, and I shared my opinion. I never said anything negative about your products but stated facts based on my observations, something I would think you'd be interested in hearing being an up and coming business.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was trying to elaborate more on our business model, which is no frills, only functionality. I want to make it clear that our equipment is not the best. So I was agreeing with you. SSBrewTech has great equipment. And if I had the money to buy their Chronical fermenters, I totally would. We just make the bare minimum for equipment that's efficient and will last a lifetime.

Your MT has the same flaw I see with SS's. No way to recirc if you use herms/rims. How is the lid made, could I drill through it and add a bulkhead easily?

What kind of a "package price" could you pull for a 15gal MT w/ false bottom and 7gal fermenter w/ball valve?

We are currently working out the details of adding a port near the top of the mash tun. If you wanted to further modify the equipment, it's all foam insulated - sides, top, and bottom. Here are some pictures of the lid. I imagine drilling a hole and adding a bulkhead wouldn't be too difficult.

The mash tun and fermenter would normally be $308 plus $60 US shipping separately. Together, we can drop the price down to $294 and $50 US shipping. So $24 off for getting both. It just takes me a second to add a reward, so I added one called "Professional Gear, The Bigger Barrel and the Small Tank" if you want to take a look. Feel free to send me a message if you want me to modify it at all.

I'm curious about the false bottom design and whether or not the MLT can be 'easily' drilled out for a recirculation fitting.

On another note to the owners, another good way to differentiate yourselves from the competition would be with a bottom drain on the MLT. I have a bottom drain on my Stout-Tanks MLT, and it is the absolute bee's knees.

If there was a bottom drain insulated MLT with a recirculation fitting (lets make it all tri-clamp while I'm fantasizing) I would shell out big bucks for that. I can cave on the tri-clamp, as I can add those.

Back to my point, there aren't many offering a bottom drain on the MLT yet, despite it being the a fantastic feature. I wish I had my HLT as well.

Here's a schematic drawing of the ThermoBarrel. It's nothing fancy - just a standard domed false bottom design.

We've looked into bottom draining, tri-clamps, and recirculation. You can actually modify the larger equipment to become bottom draining. Some home brewers in Europe do this with similar gear.
We will look at ways to do that without bumping up the price too much in the future.Tri-clamps would mean the ports should be welded. We could do that, but it would add a lot to the cost of production. So we probably won't. And as far as recirculation goes, I mentioned in another post that we are adding a port near the top of the mash tun. The lid could be modified further as well.

Any thought given to adding a second hole in the lid for a thermowell?

Our goal for the fermenter is to add as little as possible. The only reason we are including the ball valve now is because we got a great deal on them. Point being, not everyone wants a thermowell, so we aren't going to worry about it. But you're free to modify the equipment to your wildest imagination.

You You said you're looking at adding a recirculation port to the MT. any way that will de done for the kickstand or is that a neat a later date" kind of thing? I'm probably going to pass without the ability to recirc w/o modification.

I want to make it clear that our equipment is not the best. So I was agreeing with you. SSBrewTech has great equipment. And if I had the money to buy their Chronical fermenters, I totally would. We just make the bare minimum for equipment that's efficient and will last a lifetime.

+1 for honesty. Almost wish I was in the market for more equipment. Thanks. I appreciate it. Hope you make your goal.

You You said you're looking at adding a recirculation port to the MT. any way that will de done for the kickstand or is that a neat a later date" kind of thing? I'm probably going to pass without the ability to recirc w/o modification.

Word has come in and we are going to add a port. It will be the same size port as the other two. We will have details on the exact placement of the port in the next update. The next update will be sometime on the upcoming weekend.

The fermenters could REALLY use a thermowell, just saying. That's what makes it a deal-breaker for me. I'm just not going to pay hundreds of dollars for fermenters where I can't easily measure the temperature.

A stainless thermo well sanitary welded to the lid would be awesome. Easy to clean and sanitize and no gaskets. It would have to extend about 12-18" down from the lid so that the temperature of the beer, not the lid was registered.

Mash tun with bottom drain and recirc would be VERY tempting for me.

Don't forget that the kickstarter just gets them started and isn't meant to produce everything they will sell. It sounds like they are interested in feedback and will improve their products. I'm in for a fermenter for now and am thinking heavily about what else I might want to have in the future. I am tempted by the insulated mash tun and kettle although I already have a electrified keg for a boil pot.

A stainless thermo well sanitary welded to the lid would be awesome. Easy to clean and sanitize and no gaskets. It would have to extend about 12-18" down from the lid so that the temperature of the beer, not the lid was registered.

We understand the importance of a thermowell and temperature control for the fermenter. But we've decided not to add anything to the fermenter for the original product. Our goal is to keep the price as low as possible.

In the future, we will be looking into selling two types of fermenters. The first one will be with fewer features (i.e. no valve) and at a lower price. Most homebrewers are DIYers by nature. So we hope that people will be able to modify our equipment to fit their needs. We also plan on going the opposite direction and adding a thermowell and an insulated jacket. But first we need to figure out which features we can add at a reasonable cost.

We also plan on doing this with the mash tun. We plan on selling a stripped down version and hopefully, at some point, figure out how to allow direct heating for an upgraded version.

Word has come in and we are going to add a port. It will be the same size port as the other two. We will have details on the exact placement of the port in the next update. The next update will be sometime on the upcoming weekend.
With this I think I'm going to be in for one.

This is certainly the one item that's missing from the homebrew market. Coolers work, but they end up warping or cracking. Not to mention they don't blend in very well with all the other equipment in our setups.

Adding a recirc port to the MT could also sway me to join in.

Sounds like a MT like this won't require constant recirculating during the hour mash, which will be nice to save some wear on the pump. But the recir port will come in handy during the sparge (and to step up mash temp if desired).

Is this how others are thinking about it?

@ChapmanEquipment - will the recir port be added to the current Mash Tun product, or is that a new add-on that you'll be adding to the kickstarter?

Also - I noticed on your site you mention false bottoms for the Heavy Kettler, and they are more expensive than the false bottom for the ThermoBarrel. Can you explain the difference between the two false bottoms?

@ChapmanEquipment - will the recir port be added to the current Mash Tun product, or is that a new add-on that you'll be adding to the kickstarter?

They are doing it on this run it would seem.

well add me into the mix.. I'll go for one of those nice SS fermentros. If they can get the funding.

The mash tun is tempting me. Would it make sense to have the recir port in the lid? That's what I did on my cooler

Sounds like a MT like this won't require constant recirculating during the hour mash, which will be nice to save some wear on the pump. But the recir port will come in handy during the sparge (and to step up mash temp if desired).

Is this how others are thinking about it?
Not only is it needed for recirc, but also for fill from the heating tank.

What kind of heat loss are you expecting from the mash turn over say an hour?

From the tests we've performed with the ThermoBarrel, we've had varied results. But in general, heat dissipates quickly during the initial phases of the mash. This is because the steel will absorb heat easily. This problem is lessened by pre-warming the mash tun and using a higher strike temp.

After the temperature has settled, the mash tun holds temperatures at a similar or better rate than most plastic coolers.

From our experience in brewing, most coolers don't have a problem with heat retention. So the ThermoBarrel's specific purpose isn't to compete on heat retention. It's to create a cleaner and more durable vessel than a plastic mash tun.

Also - I noticed on your site you mention false bottoms for the Heavy Kettler, and they are more expensive than the false bottom for the ThermoBarrel. Can you explain the difference between the two false bottoms?

First, we've scrapped the false bottoms for the brew kettle. Nobody wanted them and we weren't too excited about them anyway. I removed them from the Kickstarter before. I'll delete them from the website when I get the chance.

The reason the ThermoBarrel's false bottoms are less expensive is because they are domed false bottoms which sit on the bottom and are uniform in size. So they use less material than the regular false bottoms and are easier to produce. So we are including them for $20 on the Kickstarter. Here's a picture. (Note that the brass is only used for this prototype and it will be changed to stainless steel fittings for the final product.)

Lastly, we've added a third port to the ThermoBarrel. See our most recent update for details.

From the tests we've performed with the ThermoBarrel, we've had varied results. But in general, heat dissipates quickly during the initial phases of the mash. This is because the steel will absorb heat easily. This problem is lessened by pre-warming the mash tun and using a higher strike temp.

After the temperature has settled, the mash tun holds temperatures at a similar or better rate than most plastic coolers.

From our experience in brewing, most coolers don't have a problem with heat retention. So the ThermoBarrel's specific purpose isn't to compete on heat retention. It's to create a cleaner and more durable vessel than a plastic mash tun.

First, we've scrapped the false bottoms for the brew kettle. Nobody wanted them and we weren't too excited about them anyway. I removed them from the Kickstarter before. I'll delete them from the website when I get the chance.

The reason the ThermoBarrel's false bottoms are less expensive is because they are domed false bottoms which sit on the bottom and are uniform in size. So they use less material than the regular false bottoms and are easier to produce. So we are including them for $20 on the Kickstarter. Here's a picture. (Note that the brass is only used for this prototype and it will be changed to stainless steel fittings for the final product.)

Lastly, we've added a third port to the ThermoBarrel. See our most recent update for details.

Awesome on the recirc port. Don't think I've ever seen anyone run with such a big change so quickly on kickstarter.

That being said I have to ask for more, haha. It sounds like you're only doing it on the 10gal, what about the 15 and 20?

Latest posts

Back