Kickstarter for SS Mash Tun, Kettle and Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From their kickstarter page:
This is just a quick update, but we wanted to officially state that we are adding a recirculation port to all of the ThermoBarrels

It sounds like they are adding the port to all thermobarrels, and just included a pic of the 10 gallon...?

Very excited, I'm gonna jump in for a 20g thermobarrel. Very impressed at the responsiveness of this kickstarter!

Can I back it if I am canada? Or what could you do for shipping of a stainless fermenter to canada? (Either 2x7 gal or 1x14gal)

Postal Code V2E2M1

Edit: now I see you already have a shipping option to canada. Thanks!

I'm glad to see so many people excited about pledging for gear after we've added a third port.

We received a lot of requests to change the designs of the equipment, and we've regrettably had to turn most of those down due to conflicting requests or the inability to make the change without a complete overhaul.

The recirculation port was something that we had underestimated demand for. We were glad to be able to make the change for the Kickstarter after getting so much feedback.

In the end, it will probably add about $10 to the retail price. It's something we will have to adjust for after the Kickstarter, but it's small enough that we can include it in the Kickstarter without changing the price.

Company's like Blichmann are great for industry standard equipment because they have decades of experience and great top-down design. Our team of brewers all have about 5 years brewing experience each on average. So we hope to make all our equipment through bottom-up design and plan to continue doing so in the future, always include the homebrewing community in our design process.

Steve Chapman - I believe you reside in China, right? If so, have you visited the shops where the ThermoBarrel™ insulated mash tun/HLT, SteelTank™ stainless steel fermenter, and Heavy Kettler™ are made? Is there anything about the manufacturing process that worries you that the equipment will have issues in the future. And, are the brew equipment make safely (without dangerous chemicals, worker considerations, etc.)?

I would have rather seen options for recirculation port placement.
Left, right or centered?
Centered and left would have been my first and second picks.
I guess I can deal with it on the right.
Decisions decisions...

Wish I had an extra $700 sitting around right now. Almost makes me regret buying that new Fender P-Bass.

That 15 gallon setup is calling my name. Excellent price for all 4 pieces.

What does post-KS pricing look like? (Sorry if this has been answered already)

They've made some very good progress the last few days. I think I might add one more fermentor when i get home to help out.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Might do the 10 gallon mash tun and fermenter combo even!

Wait there's a mash tun and fermenter combo?

259 for a 10 gal mash, and 7 gal fermentor.
or 295 to up the mash to 15 gal
324 gor the 15 mash 14 ferm

400 for all 3 in 10/10/7 config kettle/mash/ferm
474 for 15/15/7
499 for 15/15/14

really any combos.. there are a ton of them.

Bit the bullet.. added a second fermenter to my pledge. My SWMBO might not approve lol. here's to hoping this gets funded.

Looks like this Kickstarter is very close to their end goal. Looks like some more backers overnight. Hoping they make it. Really want my SS FV's after reading another cracked carboy thread this am.

Steve Chapman - I believe you reside in China, right? If so, have you visited the shops where the ThermoBarrel™ insulated mash tun/HLT, SteelTank™ stainless steel fermenter, and Heavy Kettler™ are made? Is there anything about the manufacturing process that worries you that the equipment will have issues in the future. And, are the brew equipment make safely (without dangerous chemicals, worker considerations, etc.)?

You are the first person to ask this, but I think it's a good question that needed to be asked. So I've made an update on the Kickstarter page about my last visit to the factory. In case you didn't see it, I'll also post the update here.

I've received some questions about the manufacturer we use and about their treatment of the workers, standards, working conditions, cleanliness, etc. One thing that is great about living in China is that we have the ability to visit the factory on multiple occasions. I last went to the factory in early January to explain some designs. And I will be going back to the factory in two or three weeks to check up on the manufacturing process.

As far as working conditions go, the workers I've talked to seem happy to be there. They maintained regular working hours while I was there and had a safe working environment.

Here are 6 photos of the factory and a few of the people there. I hope this can give you a better idea of what it's like.

259 for a 10 gal mash, and 7 gal fermentor.
or 295 to up the mash to 15 gal
324 gor the 15 mash 14 ferm

400 for all 3 in 10/10/7 config kettle/mash/ferm
474 for 15/15/7
499 for 15/15/14

really any combos.. there are a ton of them.

We can create any combination of equipment you might want. Just send me a message on the Kickstarter and we can add the reward. All of the listed combos are there because people requested them specifically.

Also, the Kickstarter is going great. We have almost reached our goal. I wouldn't be surprised if we made it in one or two more days. Thanks for showing so much support!

I'm really tempted to get the 14g fermenter. Buy big , buy once, buy small , buy twice.

I just backed the project for a 10 gallon mashtun. They are close to meeting their goal, less than 3k to go!

Yea. Looks good. I'm looking forward to getting my new FV's. The pledges really statrted to flow fast in the last day or two. I guess that is often seen with pledge drives.

"You are the first person to ask this, but I think it's a good question that needed to be asked. So I've made an update on the Kickstarter page about my last visit to the factory. In case you didn't see it, I'll also post the update here.

I've received some questions about the manufacturer we use and about their treatment of the workers, standards, working conditions, cleanliness, etc. One thing that is great about living in China is that we have the ability to visit the factory on multiple occasions. I last went to the factory in early January to explain some designs. And I will be going back to the factory in two or three weeks to check up on the manufacturing process.

As far as working conditions go, the workers I've talked to seem happy to be there. They maintained regular working hours while I was there and had a safe working environment.

Here are 6 photos of the factory and a few of the people there. I hope this can give you a better idea of what it's like."

Thank you Steve. I appreciate you honesty and straight talk.

Yes - a bit too much for me as well. I almost went in for two fermenters..... But $100 shipping? Prob by air, but usps ground should be only $50 or so

the products look fine but the shipping to Canada is a bit too expensive!

Yeah that stopped me as well. I would like to get a mashtun but not willing to pay that much to ship.

I even looked into using shipito but I think it only saves $10 -$20 on the 7G fermenters because you still have to pay $30us to ship to Nevada, then $50 to Canada. If only I had a friend in Portland!

I recently saw a Kickstarter run by Chapman Homebrew Equipment. They're looking to sell SS equipment on the cheaper side. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this? Looks pretty cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958078058/chapman-homebrew-equipment-mash-tuns-fermenters-ke?ref=users

Thanks for posting this on HBT. They made their target with 6 days to spare. No affiliation, I'm just glad I heard about it. Got exactly what I was looking for in an FV.

Sooooo close to pulling the trigger on that $399 combo (10G kettle, 10G mash tun, 7G fermenter), but the lack of thermowell (or port to install one easily) on the fermenter is holding me back. I'm guessing it'd be fairly straightforward to drill a hole and add one, similar to what I did with my Speidel fermenters, but never having drilled through stainless before, it's a little daunting.

What does everyone think? Would that be a pretty simple mod you could complete with a cordless drill and the right bit, or would you need something like a drill press for this type of material?

What does everyone think? Would that be a pretty simple mod you could complete with a cordless drill and the right bit, or would you need something like a drill press for this type of material?

Its a piece of cake.. just some oil and a step bit.. file the edges when you are done and install it. easy peasy

Just commented on the Kickstarted page if etched volume marks could be an option. It's the one "feature" I really like on my cooler mashtun.

Just commented on the Kickstarted page if etched volume marks could be an option. It's the one "feature" I really like on my cooler mashtun.

The kettle and fermenter both have pressed volume markings according to the specs on the kick starter. No info on the mashtun.

Back