Kicked up Guinness recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themcnabs

Reaction score
I am looking for an extract recipe that is on the lines of a Guinness Draught just kicked up a little. When I say kicked up a little I mean some coffee, chocolate and possibly a little more roast. I want to keep the low body, alcohol (4 to 4.5%) and creamy head. Sourness is questionable. Any suggestions?

A beamish clone?

Not really what I was thinking but I haven't had a Beamish in a long time. I want a very smooth drinkable beer like Guinness draught not harsh like Guinness Extra Stout. So maybe just a Guinness Draught clone with some cocoa powder and ground coffee added at the end of the boil, whirlpool or fermenter.

Smoothest stout I've made was a clone of a 1952 Whitbread Export Stout. 5.2%, no roast barley or black patent. Instead, it had around 7% Brown malt, 5% Chocolate malt, another small quantity of very dark invert sugar syrup (#3 or #4) and some of the colour came from brewers' caramel. Silky smooth with a good dark fruit / chocolate flavour to it. You could tell it was a commercial recipe.

Here is what I am thinking of doing.

5 gallons
SG 1.042
FG 1.010

4.0Lbs Light LME
2.0Lbs Flaked barley
1.25Lbs Roast Barley (500L)
1.0Lb 2-row barley - to convert the flaked & roasted barley
2oz Kent goldings 60 min - 40 IBUs
Maybe a little ground coffee at the end of the boil

Latest posts

Back