Key Lime Beer...any suggestions for recipe formulation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealthfixr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought some Amoretti Key Lime craft puree with the intent to make a Key Lime beer. My wife is a dedicated wine drinker, but I am trying hard to make a beer she may love. Key Lime pie is her favorite dessert.

I've done some researching, and while this idea is not new, there's not a lot out there on now best to do it. In lieu of more information, I am considering a Cream Ale or Pilsner basic all-grain recipe, with either Kolsch, Kveik Lutra, 2112 lager or a 'true' lager yeast, and then adding the craft puree in the secondary incrementally. Another thought on yeast is to pitch Philly Sour, having the lactic acid there to balance the sweetness of the Key Lime craft puree. Perhaps even a Philly Sour & Lutra co-fermentation, with the Lutra being added about 24-hours after the philly sour?

Have any of you done this before? Any suggestions if you have?

Last edited:
I would agree that your are on the right track with a base beer, any light colored light hopped beer would work.

Not sure what kind of sugar is in the purée but it will most likely ferment out and not be sweet so there might be some trial and error to get the balance right so I don’t know that I would use philly sour thinking to balance the sweet.

There is a thread here for a lemon lime Hefeweizen, that beer is really good, it’s a wheat beer but you could just not use the wheat but follow the hops and add the limeade.

Came here to suggest what you already offered up: a lime twisted clean beer (pils or kolsch) and a cleaner lactic mixed ferm or kettle sour. You will likely get bigger lime flavor by using zest, btw.

My thoughts: Key Lime Pie Sour
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.05.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.10.34 PM.png

Co-sour with the plantarum/Goodbelly/S-05 pitched together. Hop tea with Magnum boiled in RO water for 60 min plus Nectaron dry hop added 3 days before kegging. Rakau would be better, but I'm out. I do have Taiheke, that has lime in the description.

A dozen Key Limes zested (they are small) in enough vodka to cover the zest soaked for a week or two. 4 or 5 lbs of Key lime puree from peeled Key limes pureed with 8 oz of vodka (I live in South Florida...I can buy the key limes in the grocery store). This recipe is in my queue :cool: Cheers, Rick

Back