kettle to conical transfer process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CentralNJBrew

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a question (or a few) about the transfer of wort from my kettle to my fermenter.

I am hopefully a few weeks away from my first (in a while) brew day. I am definitely experiencing the "add more time/money" to the original plan as I write this.

As for transferring the wort to the conical;

-I plan on using 1/2" silicone tubing

-I also plan on using one of those high flow march pumps that went on clearance at MoreBeer recently

- The transfer I envision will be Kettle> Pump (below kettle, inlet facing down, outlet facing up) > Blichmann HopRocket (directly above pump, if needed for that brew) > Therminator plate chiller (close by hoprocket) > Inline Oxygenation (attached to therminator) > MoreBeer Conical

My questions are;

1) Will this pump be powerful enough to get the wort from it to the conical?

All vessels are not going to be that far from each other. 1 foot of tubing at most, with the pump being the only unit on the "below" side.

I also plan on having one, most likely, two elbows during this transfer plan. I know they take away from head.

2) Should I use silicone tubing for the final transfer from the oxygenation inlet to the conical, or is there a better tubing for that last step.

3) And if the pump is powerful enough, where do I transfer the wort through into the conical? The transfer valve on the side of the cone (i think this one), the butterfly valve on the bottom of the cone, or do I just leave the top off and hose it in?

This is the question that has been keeping me up at night the last few weeks. HELP!!

I'm in the middle of setting up a fairly advanced setup and am getting down to the questions, even simple ones, who's answers have evaded me. I know WHY I want/have this equipment, but I'm obviously still a little fuzzy on some of the HOW parts. Embarrassingly so.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who offer any guidance/advice.

I use a march pump and go from kettle to pump to plate chiller then to conical with 20' of 1/2" silicon and chill at 3 gallons a minute, that's as fast as the march will pump with that much head pressure.
I drop the wort in through the top of the conical.

1) Will this pump be powerful enough to get the wort from it to the conical?

Certainly should be.

All vessels are not going to be that far from each other. 1 foot of tubing at most, with the pump being the only unit on the "below" side.

I also plan on having one, most likely, two elbows during this transfer plan. I know they take away from head.

At the flow rates you are going to see this shouldn't be an issue at all.

2) Should I use silicone tubing for the final transfer from the oxygenation inlet to the conical, or is there a better tubing for that last step.

The only problem with silicone is that it is expensive. Physically and chemically it is fine for this (it's what I use).

3) And if the pump is powerful enough, where do I transfer the wort through into the conical? The transfer valve on the side of the cone (i think this one), the butterfly valve on the bottom of the cone, or do I just leave the top off and hose it in?
Anywhere you like, really. I run into the drain at the bottom or the standpipe which is also located there. The pump has plenty of oomph to fill the fermenter to the depth of the couple of feet involved.

I am planning on a 15 or 20 gal conical soon and I'm wondering the same thing. My challenge is the distance from boil kettle to conical. I will either need a long run of tubing (40-50') or some type of way to move the conical around safely.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That's a long run. Think about how much beer will be held up in that for even half inch tubing. You can, of course, push that beer out with water and that's what I do even though my run is perhaps 30'.

as an option on a long run, you can use compressed air to push out the line. On the discharge side of the pump, after a ball valve install a ss tee. In this tee you can install an airline connection. Once you have siphoned off all you can get out of the boil kettle. Close the valve, turn off the pump and connect your airline. this will push your beer thru the plate/frame and to your ferm without a problem and you won't waste any beer. :) keep in mind that 3-5 psi should be plenty and your silicone 1/2" tubing can't handle too much pressure so staying close and paying attention is the only way to go.

My conical is on casters, as long as i'm careful rolling it around it works well.

Back