Kettle to CFC to fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHistorian

Reaction score
I am basically wondering what set ups people are using to tranfer wort from boil kettle straight through CFC and straight into fermenter. As of now i have a Brew Kettle with ball valve and a counterflow chiller set up but they are not connected. I am looking to be able to move boiled wort straight out of kettle, through my CFC and then straight into my carboy. I really dont like the idea of passing hot wort through a plastic tube to CFC even though I know they make HI-temp plastic tubing for this. I'm trying my hardest to avoid all use of plastic when dealing with high temp wort. So basically i have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to connect copper piping to kettle valve and connect other end straight to my CFC?
2. Is gravity enough to move Wort through CFC or is a pump a smart investment?
3. Are there any better ways to set up my kettle/CFC/fermenter system? my goal is for the least amount of time and avoid all possible exposure to outside air/elements when transferring.
-Any ideas/pics would be great help.

I have done mine two different ways.

I have some of those stainless camlock fittings for my no sparge RIMs system. I fit a 1/2" threaded end onto the top of the CFC and screwed a camlock end to it.

The first time I did a female camlock fitting on the cfc and connected it directly to the male camlock on my kettle. it works, not the best though.

What I do now it run from kettle through 1/2" silicone tubing and either let gravity push it through to the CFC, or on occasion I let my pump do the work, although i find that it goes pretty fast through the CFC and doesn't chill as much.

The camlocks work great though.

I use gravity and it's plenty. I also use a piece of high temp flexible tubing and 1/2" hose barbs on the ball valve and CFC input. If you don't want to you a piece of flexible tubing that is rated for the application :)confused:) you could just use solid copper or SS tubing with compression fittings. That will need to be bent or arranged exactly right for fit though.

Using gravity depends on ground water temp. You can throttle the kettles ball valve to reach temp, but are limited to your ground water temp. The only perk to brewing in the winter.

If you don't want to you a piece of flexible tubing that is rated for the application :)confused:) you could just use solid copper or SS tubing with compression fittings.

My decision on not using plastic tubing is a personal preference. Im a big advocate on not using any type of plastics in my everyday life. I don't care if they tell you its safe to use, Its just a simple fact that every material on this planet deteriorates over time. I dont know about you, but I would rather be ingesting natural copper in my system then ingesting all different types of resins and chemicals used in fabricating plastic tubing.

If you don't want to you a piece of flexible tubing that is rated for the application :)confused:) you could just use solid copper or SS tubing with compression fittings.

My decision on not using plastic tubing is a personal preference. Im a big advocate on not using any type of plastics in my everyday life. I don't care if they tell you its safe to use, Its just a simple fact that every material on this planet deteriorates over time. I dont know about you, but I would rather be ingesting natural copper in my system then ingesting all different types of resins and chemicals used in fabricating plastic tubing.

Didn't mean to judge, was just confused why you were against it. Hence my recommendation for the alternative. :mug:

Back