Kettle/Stock Pot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut908

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice size pot for for the boil and mash (I do BIAB). From what I hear, 7.5 gallons is a good size of pot to do a 5 gallon batch in.

I have done a lot of searching to find a decently priced pot but everything costs around $100..... until I found this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.propane-turkey-fryer.1000660748.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/outdo...t&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

So my question is how are these so cheap compared to regular pots? Whats the difference? They even include the propane burner! Even if its a crappy burner it still costs less than buying a basic pot of the same size on its own.

Am I missing something? Are these not good pots to be doing brews in? They are advertised as turkey fryers but still...

I'm just a bit skeptical.

SS 8 gallon economy pots go for maybe $50. That aluminum pot should be cheaper than those, and it is.

I guess I should say that I have found sub $100 pots, but only online. I'm not a big fan of shipping for multiple reasons so finding stuff that I can drive over and pick up from the store is a nice bonus.

Do you have an LHBS? I just checked and two local HB stores have 8 gallon econo SS pots, one is $70 and the other is $80.

I have a few that I can go to. They don't show their inventory on their website, but I have checked in the past at a few places and they only stock the ones with the valve and thermometer for the higher end brewers.

I'm pretty happy with this pot, albeit I think it was $60something when I bought it. Please note that 35 quarts is, if not simply made up, perhaps the volume displaced by the pot including the metal (or just calculated from its outermost dimensions and the cylinder equation, and it actually *holds* around 8.2 gallons. On a more satisfying note, it seems reasonably sturdy and is wide enough to fit over two burners on my gas stove, albeit just barely. And it's Prime-Eligible, which may mean it's also Super Saver Shipping eligible if you don't have prime. If that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back