Kettle Sour With probiotic and cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanBeamer

Reaction score
Hey team

I am currently brewing a test batch of 2.5 gallons kettle sour

1.1 lbs 2 row
1.1 lbs wheat
4 oz honey malt

that I mashed at 150 for 60 minutes, then heated up to 200 F and then chilled to 99 F. I then pitched a bottle of Bio Kidz raspberry gluten/dairy free. Which is 12.5 billion cells of lactobacillus acidophilus, casei and rhamnosus . There are no other bacteria listed like clostridium or strep species or enterococcus.

It's sitting in a water bath currently. I plant on tasting it ever 12-18 hours and when it seems tart putting it back on the heat and boiling. I have some extra DME and corn sugar i may add if the probiotic has some yeast in that ferments the sugars out before I can kill em. Plan on then adding some mandarina bavaria at 15 minutes for 10 ibu and then at flameout.

US-05 for primary for 7-10 days, and then rack it onto 2 lbs of tart cherries a friend gave me. Let that ride for another week or so and bottle.

This is sort of a hybrid of basic brewing methods using this biokidz probiotic instead of a good belly shot that seems popular.
Any feed back re: hop additions would be appreciated. I have a total of 1 oz of the mandarina.

I usually brew 2.5 gallon brews and for lower alcohol batches I am using 5lbs + of grain. What is your expected abv with less than 2.5lbs of grain?

Expected ABV is around 4 % - I will be adding about 0.7 lbs of DME likely and should get some residual sugars from the cherry . Also have a bit of dextrose if it’s going to be very light. Brewers friend indicated around 4% and they usually seem bang on from past experience

Latest posts

Back