Kettle Size - Aluminum - 8.75 gal vs 17 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthson

Reaction score
First, let me apologize for ANOTHER :rolleyes: post on kettles. I just need someone to talk me off the cliff, or give me a good push.

Ok, back into homebrew. All grain. Propane burner on the deck. Been doing small 2.5 gallon batches of BIAB in my steel kitchen stockpot (3.5 gallon), and chilling in tub of cold water. Tired of that and want to do 5 gallon batches. My head is swimming with all the possibilities (Aluminum vs Steel, immersion chillers vs plate chillers vs baths, pumps, BIAB vs BIABasket, ball valves, etc. I finally decided to just keep it super simple. I'm getting a kettle, and maybe a chiller.

I've decided on aluminum based off price, and ease of heating. This is the aluminum stock pot on Amazon. It's is 1/8 inch thick, and built in Canada (nice to support local). My dilemma is the sizes. There is an 8.75 gallon version, and then the next step up is 17 gallon. I really only want to do 5 gallon batches, but I keep reading advice where people say go bigger because you may want to do larger batches. If I go bigger, then I worry that 5 gallon might be too small for that size pot. And I worry that if I go to a larger 10 gallon batch, a 1/2" 50ft chiller won't be sufficient, and I'll need a plate chiller, which will require a ball valve and pumps, and...so you can see how neurotic I'm getting. I know it'll be easier (and cheaper) if I just stick with the 8.75 gallon pot. But am I going to regret it? I don't like strong beer, and don't care about the idea of making dubbels and tripels, so it is unlikely that I'm going to have a massive grain bill. And I hate the idea of having a stupidly large pot if I'm only going to do 5 gallons.

After all that information purging, I feel like I'm pretty much sold on the 8.75 gallon, unless you guys really push me toward 17 gallon, or some other option.

Are you doing BIAB? If so, you'll probably need a little more room than the 8.75, even for lower gravity worts. If you are using a 2 or 3 vessel system, the 8.75 should be ok though you'll need to watch closer for boilovers. Don't think you really need 17 gallons, but 10 would be more flexible.

@NTBeer - yes, BIAB. And my problem is solved - I finally went out to the local wholesale store and found a sweet 10gal aluminum pot (4mm). It was $67 (no lid included). Ended up buying a stainless steel lid for it because all of the aluminum ones were scratched to high heaven. The steel lid was only $10 more vs aluminum, and as a bonus it perfectly fits the cast iron wok I have at home and have been trying to find a lid for. Love it when things work out. Total price $109 CAD after taxes. So much better than the small fortune you have to pay for a thin stainless steel kettle sold for homebrew.

Now I just have to decide if I'm gonna use the immersion chiller, or drill out a hold for a ball valve and plate chiller. Odds are I'll go cheap and simple and stick with the immersion option.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back