Kettle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
How do you clean your kettle ?
Ive got a hard brown residue at the bottom of my kettle that won't come off. Ive soaked with hot oxyclean and sodium hydroxide but it won't budge. Besides scrubbing it off with steel wool whats the best way to get it clean again ?

How do you clean your kettle ?
Ive got a hard brown residue at the bottom of my kettle that won't come off. Ive soaked with hot oxyclean and sodium hydroxide but it won't budge. Besides scrubbing it off with steel wool whats the best way to get it clean again ?

If your kettle is stainless steel, no matter what you use to scour it clean, you definitely don't want to use steel wool. Bad juju. If scrubbing is in the cards, use a green scrubby (aka Scotch-Brite") pad. It won't embed bits of iron that will promote rust in your stainless...

Cheers!

I didn't have BKF so I tried Star San. I left it to soak overnight. It came off effortlessly without any scrubbing needed.. My aluminium pot is almost as good as new. Thanks guys.

Back