Kennett Brewfest - does anyone have any tricks/suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKmyWAY

Reaction score
I just got my ticket to Kennett Brewfest ( http://www.kennettbrewfest.com/ ) in PA after missing the boat last year (apparently tickets go fast), and i was wondering if anyone out there has been there before. Is there anything that I can't miss? Anything that runs out early? Any veteran tricks that you can pass down to the new kid on the block?

TIA
-BK

Never been to Kennett, I can tell you what I do as an avid beerfest goer myself.

Arrive ~30 mins prior to opening. The gate people will usually let you see the event map, tasting guide, so you can plan out what you would like to taste. Look also for special brews that would likely run out. Blah blah's IPA usually hangs around, but that 8 yr ols oak-barrel stout probably won't. Also, on more then one occasion we have come to the aid of a new brewer or small brewer with no staff trying to haul too much in. The event usually opens for the brewers an hour before the public, and if he's by himself he has nothing to do with his unused passes ;)

Take some chairs and a blanket. Beer drinkers honor the blanket, and you can getbyourself some good space to hang out and meet friends new and old.
We always take a cooler of water, about 1/2 gal per person, a extra water bottle for rinsing, a few cheeses, crackers, pretzels and a log of summer sausage. Precut your cheese and sausage before you leave so you don't have to worry about a knife.
I have also put a pocket notebook, pen and calculator in the pocket of the cooler. Never who you are going to run into and need to right down an email or phone number.

Hope that helps, CHEERS!

Can't say I've been to brewfest before but I'll be there this year, with a fairly large crew. It does get very busy as I've driven by it many times. If you are looking for a good place to eat after wards check out the Half Moon Saloon. It is right up near the parking garage where they are running the shuttle and they have a great beer selection both on tap and bottled, plus delicious wild game.

thanks guys. one thing i did find out elsewhere is:

"Some notes: Philly Pretzel Factory was a vendor there last year and they gave away free pretzels (you would pay for them from other vendors there!). Also, try to get there close to the start time of the event since some beers are so popular that they run out of them quick. But don't worry there are more than enough beers to sample. Lastly, tickets do sell out before the event. But with the economy being so bad that might not happen but I doubt it."

-jeff from meetup.com

In May the same group that runs Brewfest had another smaller beer tasting and they provided water for free at that event. Not saying they will for this one but they might.

I have heard that Kennett really gets packed mid day, so the suggestions that I have heard are to show up early, or stay late. Lines can apparently be very long for the popular breweries, so this could be a good chance to try some beers that you haven't had before and skip the Dogfish 90 minute even though its an excellent beer. Thoughts from someone who has only heard, as this is my first Brewfest as well.

Darn, can't do Oct 2. If you want to really make a lost weekend out of it, Victory Brewing is doing their Fall Festival on the 3rd. They will supposedly close off downtown Downingtown PA and have a beer garden. Last I heard, my LHBS was going to do a homebrew demonstration, but not sure if that got the OK.

Kennett is a nice area....but these brewfests are turning into crowded drunken blowouts. A shame, because I'd love to be able to sample tons of new breweries/beers.

Latest posts

Back