Kenmore Chest Freezer Model 12909 - Anybody Using This Model?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, how long are your gas line lengths? Do you think a three foot long length would reach everything okay coming from the CO2 manifold?[/url]

I measured my lines last night and they are between 2'-2-1/2'. Those 3' lines should be fine!

Yesterday I transferred my first beer into a keg... Man was it nice! Took all of about 15 minutes vs. bottling. I added a spigot on my fermenting bucket so I could do transfers without using the siphon and it worked so nicely. Of course once I was done transferring and harvesting the yeast I made sure to disassembly and clean that spigot like crazy before it's next use... I like the fact I can purge the keg with CO2 and transfer without a siphon so it disturbs the beer very little with O2... I know it adds additional risk with contamination, but I read many people have spigots without issue so I figure it was worth trying.

I decided on doing the "slow" method for carbing, so I set the regulator at 15.5psi for 42F and will just let it go for two weeks or whatever. This will result in about 2.7 vols. I know damn well though that I will be impatient and trying it out already come this weekend... haha

In other keezer news... I think my magnets arrive today so I can install my drink try and I have LED lighting strips coming tomorrow for my "nook"... Got to add some mood lighting in there! :D Will get pictures of course when it's all complete.

Quick update for anyone thinking about this freezer. Sears appears to be experiencing delays getting them to stores /delivered. It was supposed to be here today and the date was pushed for the 2nd time to Jan 8. Right now they're advertising availability on 1/11, but I'd tack a couple weeks into your expectations. Ours will be 3 weeks late if they meet their latest date commitment.

Nice build on the keezer, can't wait for the ease of kegging.

Invertalon,
What did you plug the fan into?

The fan comes with an extendable USB cable... I just plugged that into the wall via USB plug (like most phones have). I posted the link to the fan previously in this topic if you want to check it out. Easy enough and required no wiring or anything, plug and play.

The fan comes with an extendable USB cable... I just plugged that into the wall via USB plug (like most phones have). I posted the link to the fan previously in this topic if you want to check it out. Easy enough and required no wiring or anything, plug and play.

Excellent, thanks!

Just an update...

Tried out my Cream Ale that has been carbing for 6 days or so the other day, the entire system works perfectly! I really love those flow control faucets... Dialed right into the proper flow for a great pour, even with the relatively short lines of 4.5ft or whatever I did at 2.7vol's (although I don't believe the beer is there yet, maybe 2.2-2.4 currently).

Currently "calibrating" my temp.. Have my controller set at 39F with a 2-deg dif to try to get 40F beer temp. Been checking a glass of water I have in the freezer with my accurate thermometer and this morning got 40.1F, so it's looking good so far. Going to check a few more times and positions to make sure. Of course, I will also check the beer temp when it's fully carbed and I pour a full glass!

No issues other than the tubing I pre-installed got condensation in it since it wasn't hooked up to anything... Removed the beer lines from the taps, sanitized them and put them away until the keg is ready to be hooked up.

My drip tray didn't work as planned... The magnets, while super strong, don't hold the tray properly. I ended up just putting it at the bottom of the freezer near the floor to catch any dripping... It don't look too bad actually and I will likely just keep it like that for now.

I will need to grab a few pictures this week... Got my LED lighting installed and cleaned up the space, having all my glassware next to the keezer. Turned out really nice!

Sounds nice. I've been wondering about those flow control faucets vs. the 630SS faucets. I read one post where someone was looking to go back to the 630SS. Don't recall why.

Read lots of good things as well.

Invertalon,
Do you know how much current/amps this freezer draws (running and start-up)?

Jiffster,

No idea on the current/amps it draws.

Here are some final photos of my setup... Replaced my beer line with the bev-seal stuff (the ultra barrier silver I was unhappy with... I got off-flavors if the beer sat in the tubing which supposedly wasn't supposed to happen with that stuff!). The Bev-seal was far cheaper, so win win... I got a refund for my silver barrier tubing thankfully, AIH was easy as can be to return the tubing I didn't use... Highly recommend them! I also purchased the proper fittings for this tubing, so installation was a breeze.

You can see some of my LED lighting I installed near the ceiling, which turned out great. Can change to any color, fades, strobes, can dim or brighten, etc... Awesome stuff.

Very happy with how it all turned out! Was a fun project that created a cool space near the fireplace for entertaining! So far, two of the three beers are done... My azzaca IPA finishes next week... Dry hopping it any day now. It will finish around 6% ABV and 50 IBU, have not taken the final hydro reading yet. The porter is actually a smoked porter, with about 9oz of beechwood smoked malt, turned out just incredible... Grain to glass in 2 weeks, that's pretty crazy... Liking this kegging thing!

We also get that Destihl keg this weekend from a local rep... Girlfriend is a fein for that stuff, so we decided to get a keg of it!

1B5A2888_zpstw1hsqju.jpg

1B5A2894_zpsaqjuwnld.jpg

1B5A2896_zpsgxbepd3h.jpg

1B5A2892_zpsnd2sclnd.jpg

1B5A2907_zpsf0iekw2a.jpg

IMG_4771_zpstrzxjilw.jpg

Looks fantastic! I picked up the same freezer from Sears this past Monday. Planning my build out. I purchased the same fan as you and a dehumidifier. Gonna order my faucets soon.

I might go with a little taller collar so I can fit 6 Corny's in it.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452881525.986180.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452881543.541633.jpg

How did you go from grain to glass in 2 weeks? That's awesome!

I've got a sparkling ale that's been fermenting since Jan 3. I was going to wait until the 21st to keg it but I'm getting antsy! Might try for Monday, 18th.

You have a very nice set up there!

Thanks! Appreciate that!

The porter finished primary fermentation within four days of pitching the yeast. Kegged at day 8. Put at 30psi for 48hrs then dropped to serving pressure for a few days. At day 12 I attached the beer line and it was fully carbed and ready to go! I plan to give future beers more time to condition and such, but the porter tasted perfect and had a nice, long lasting head. I am sure after another week or two it will continue to improve even further which I am excited for, but it is awesome to be able to turn beers around in less than two weeks!

Just an update on the beer line... The bev-seal stuff is superior, for sure... I just took a sample after the beer sat in the line overnight and I am unable to detect any real off-flavors. I did with the Silver Barrier tubing in the same amount of time (testing with the cream ale which is very light in flavor, so that will be noticeable more than most). Very happy with the new tubing! Along with the John Guest fittings, cleaning those lines will be far easier as well!

Invertalon,
Where do you have your temp probe located?

There's a lot of debate on this subject and I'm trying to determine where to locate mine.

I'll be keying my first keg tomorrow. It will be alone in the keeper for a bit until I can build up some more brews.

Hey,

My probe is located down near the floor directly under the secondary manifold. I have the probe taped to a jar of star-san with bubble wrap to insulated it against the jar of starsan (like a fermenter would be). This way, it doesn't kick on the compressor anytime the door is opened and is more stable. I have my controller set at 39F with a +/- 2F differential and my beer temp is around 41F once in the glass, so it's probably at a perfect 40F in the keg before it warms up through the lines, tap and glassware.

Back