Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Just recently aquired a keg, will be cutting the top off shortly. Question is, do i absolutely have to have a ball valve installed and therm through the keg??

I at some point plan on installing the bulkhead,valve,dip tube, etc. Just not real soon. How well does using auto siphon/taking temps from the top work out?

i used mine as a BK for a couple batches before I drilled it out and started adding accessories. It worked fine, and was nice to have the extra room moving from a 7.5 gal turkey pot

If you are using an immersion cooler, you'll be fine for a little while. If you plan on using a couterflow or plate chiller, you will need the ball valve as the Autosiphon doesn't like high temps.

you cant use an autosiphon at boiling temps, as mentioned, but you can still start a siphon manually with a hose. a valve at the bottom just makes you life a lot easier, its not required though.

Back