Keggle Welding Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
So I wanted to post this on here and get some input:

I have 3 keggles. I cut the tops off of them already.

I wanted all three to have a 1/2" coupler welded half in and half out.

A friend of a friend tried to do it and did a horrible job where he just welded it flush to the keg wall and compromised the inside threads. The outside weld is great but the inside he just tacked it and I had to file down the inside in order to fix it.

Now I want to get the other two welded by a welder but I'm curious about this: can I just have someone weld the outside of the keg and not the inside?

Is it that hard to weld the inside since it's a confined space?

Since this is all hot sided were talking about I don't see what the issue would be with someone welding a coupler half in/half out just on the outside of the keg.

Any thoughts? I live in RI so if anyone knows a welder who can actually do inside and outside welds I'd appreciate a referral. Thanks!

- ISM NRP

to prevent the threads from getting mess up, thread a bolt through the fitting while its being welded. This will prevent any splatter or heat damage.

Someone that is a good sanitary welder will be able to weld them flush, get a full penetration weld on the backside and not mess up the threads. We started welding all couplers flush about a month ago and it makes cleaning much easier. If you still have the lids bring them in to have the welder prove his work on. Finding someone that will be able to properly weld these is going to be difficult.

As Bobby mentioned you'll definitely want the backside purged with Argon otherwise the backside welds will sugar and look nasty. I would not recommend threading a bolt through the coupler as mentioned as it will not prevent warping. If the welder uses too much heat the coupler will warp and jam the bolt in the coupler.

I have a couple of Sabco converted kegs that I have been using for over 10 years where they just welded the exterior. Until they went to only making kettles with tri-clamp connections, this was how they made all their kettles. This is very desirable configuration and I would recommend it. Trying to clean up a weld on the inside of the keg has got to be something akin to giving your cat a bath.

Trying to clean up a weld on the inside of the keg has got to be something akin to giving your cat a bath.

That's the thing... a good welder with proper back-purge produces a weld bead that looks almost as good on the inside as the outside.

I'd give you're buddy another shot at it. The welds don't need to be sanitary at all, just liquid-proof. I'd thread a nipple into the coupling to keep the threads from getting splattered, as mentioned above.

Keep it simple,

Back