Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired two sanke's that im planning on converting to Keggles. My intial reaction was to go weldless but if I wanted to have it done permanently, what exactly would I need to look for in a welder. I understand welding SS is "particular" for lack of a better word (maybe tricky?) so I would like to know what to tell a welder when I start making some phone calls from the White Pages later this week when I get around to it.

Also, in case anyone has gone this route, what would I expect to pay for the work since I don't want to get run over the coals?

A good place to start would be to call a local brewery, cheese making plant, dairy plant, etc. Someone that deals with SS. They may be able to recommend a company. If you don't have luck there start calling shops. Ask if they know how to sanitary weld SS. If they answer with anything other than a yes move on. Make sure they back purge with Argon. A TIG machine that has a pulse feature will also keep the heat down and reduce warping.

Each weld should cost between $20-$30. Setting up a back purge takes time, time=money.

I buy my keggles for $200 with 3 tig welded couplers, a thermometer and a ss ball valve and think it's a steal. YMMV

Back