Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So I have a high final gravity Belgian IPA that I fermented with a Saison yeast and I wanted to bring the fg down a bit more. I wanted to see if it was possible to keg this beer and then add more yeast. Would this be a good way of carbing or a bad idea? It's right around 1.032 right now and I wanted it around 1.016.

I vote no, but is this a democracy?
After spending so much time fermenting and clearing the beer, I never saw a good reason to carb in the keg. Putting the keg under pressure for a week while you condition it will do the same thing, and much less yeast hanging around.

I thought about the yeast being pulled once I start to drink off of it, that doesn't bother me. I thought I would at least trap some of the final ferm co2 and carbonate it a little. I have no ideaof the pressure that final ferm would give off, but I figure the keg would hold it just fine until it absorbed into the beer.

If your goal is to get the gravity to drop I'd recommend repitching. Carbonating the beer before you get the FG where you want it will not benefit you.

There is a local micro that sort of does this. They close the fermentation tank when fermentation is about 80% done. This doesnt carb the beer, but it does get some carbon dioxide into the beer thus saving them $ on CO2.

FYI, simply "repitching" is rarely enough to get a stuck fermentation to roar back to life. In my experience, the only method that's ever worked (on a saison, coincidentally) is to rack it onto another recent yeast cake from a lower-OG batch that just finished. My saison finished around 1.017, so I racked it onto a Witbier cake and it finished it out to about 1.011. I just would hate to see you dump the beer in the keg, pitch a packet of dry yeast, and have nothing happen. At the very least you need to add a yeast starter that is at high krausen point...but I'd suggest brewing a smaller (low-OG) beer like a blonde ale, racking it to a keg or bright once it's done, and immediately racking your BIPA on top of it. I can almost assure you that it will finish it out that way.

I like that idea Evan. I thought my way was kind of a hit or miss way of going about this. Now I guess I need to make a Belgian Pale Ale!
Cheers and thanks, Gabe

Back