Kegging time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
If I cold crashed then used gelatin in a batch of 1.050 pale ale at day 8 and kegged it really clear on day 10 will the green taste still improve over next few weeks? The hydrometer sample tasted a bit green, but it had been done a few days before cold crash. The krausen fell and it cleared to what I considered ready to bottle appearance before anything. Pac Man yeast. New to kegging.

I try to minimize time in primary if I'm doing any hop forward beer. You would be surprised how quickly those delicate hop aromas fade. As soon as gravity stabilizes I get it into either a secondary (I dry hop in secondary...closed system if you can) and 5 days later into keg.

In will let other styles in primary about 3 weeks and some stouts I condition in a secondary for months. It's all about the style of beer u want.

Yes that green taste will definitely fade. As an example the beer I have on tap at the moment (a mildly hopped blonde) was brewed on 01-01 and kegged on 01-12.The day I kegged it the hydrometer sample wasn't particularly good but I have learned patience in this hobby. I do the set and forget carbing method at 12 psi. One week in the keg it was kinda carbed but tasted green. By the end of January it tasted great and it still tastes great. I will be sorry to see it go.

The beer will "age" faster at room temperature than it will when cold. For an IPA you probably don't want it to age. Other beers you're better to let them sit in primary for 2-3 weeks ideally.

It should fade. Most of my beers stay in the fermenter for 2 weeks, 3 weeks if I am dryhopping. Then kegged in a co2 purged keg and do a 24hr force carb. By the time I get to drinking it (usually a week after I carb), there is no green flavor. I did notice a green taste in my beers I was drinking right after I force carbbed and had a quick turnaround in the fermenter.

That is the exact settings I do. 30psi for 24hrs then set to 10-12 psi serving. I have 10' lines. Should be drinking good beer in a few days. Cheers brother :mug:

The 4.5 day update is that this beer is good. It was Equinox galaxy pale ale. I am getting foamier pours than I did on the first one I kegged. It might be the 5 ft of 3/16 line but idk, I have heard 10 ft is way to go mostly.

I think I'm good I vented and reduced to 8 psi..... Few hours later perfect carbonation and pour. False alarm. Will turn back to 10

Back