Kegging or AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegging or All Grain?

• Keg

• All Grain

Results are only viewable after voting.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to spend some money on my brewing and I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a kegging system or an all grain system. I'm currently doing full boil extract beers.
I don't have any equipment for kegging yet.
I do have a patio stove, immersion chiller, and hopefully 2 15.5 gallon kegs to convert in the next week. This equipment puts me a little closer to AG. I would still need a mill and a MLT at a minimum.

What was your biggest improvement, AG or Kegging?

I voted kegging. Basically cause you're a lot closer to AG right now then you may realize. You don't NEED a mill. You can order pre-crushed grains, or if you have a LHBS they should be able to crush your grains for you. A MLT will cost you less then $100 depending how what you use and how you build. That's it. You have a chiller, you'll have the keggles soon, you've been brewing so you have pales/carboys to ferment in. You're there.

Invest in the kegging supplies...if you have the right budget for it. It's not cheap.

I got fortunate and aquired everything at the same time. My first AG batch is in the primary and will be the first batch I keg.

It sounds like you are alot closer to going AG than kegging, so I voted for AG. Even if I was in a position to go either way, I'd still go AG just for the ability to have that much impact on my brewing process.

A MLT is easy to build and will cost far less than a kegging set-up, and a mill is not a necessity right away if your grain supplier does a good job of milling.

Good Luck. Go AG, you'll love it.

At this point, you don't need a mill. I don't have one. Either buy an all grain recipe kit from AHB, or call them and special order the recipe of your choice. Or, if you have a local HB shop in driving distance, buy grains and have them crush 'em for you. That's what I do. Then mix up whatever you want.

All you need is an MLT. Your first AG beer will make you wonder why you ever wasted time on extract. Check out the cheap and easy 10 gallon MLT conversion. Wouldn't you rather have a better product than a crappier one on tap?

A Vote for AG. I have found that AG Beers really do taste that much beeter then Partial Mashes and Extract Beers(IMHO).

+1 to KiltedBrewer

It sounds like all you need to do AG is a cooler and a manifold. If you've got the cash to buy into kegging, you should be able to scrounge up the $40 it would cost to get at least a basic MLT sorted. You don't *have* to have a $10 ball valve on your MLT, you can just use a hose with the end clipped above the fluid level until you are ready to drain.

you do not NEED a mill. neat to have, but not a requirement to start AG. your LHBS (and many online HBS) will crush for you.

$40 towards a rubbermaid cooler MLT conversion, and I think you're there once the kegs are converted.

kegging comes next ;)

Go with kegging, it saves time. AG takes more time.

Go with the progression to save time so you can spend more of it brewing vs bottling.

If you do it this way it'll be more of a wash when you go AG.

I voted kegging too. Partial mash only requires a little extra equipment and 'eases' you into all grain.

Plus, there's nothing like pulling a pint in your own home. :D

I agree with what Kilted Brewer said -- if you have money to invest, buy some kegging gear because it sounds like you could scrounge together the stuff you need to go all grain at almost no expense. The same can't be said of putting together a kegging system.

See my sig below for an easy way to build an inexpensive mash tun. It sounds like that's really about all you need to go AG.

I voted AG. Bottling is not that difficult or time consuming, and I find it enjoyable. Go AG and you open up tons more doors to brewing.

I'm probably $1k into my kegerator setup. When you figure the kegs, the chest freezer (bought new), the tank, regulators (1 + 3), taps (3 ventmatics), hoses, fittings, couplers, wood for the collar, etc. etc.

Yes it could be done for less but I don't want a half-assed-looking affair sitting in the living room.

Now that I have the kegerator setup, and a few extract batches under my belt I will try my first AG batch here in a couple weeks. I am gathering parts for my AG setup and I expect I'll be set for $500 or so. I went with some nice stuff, polar ware, nice burner, etc. rather than the whole plasma-cutting-the-top-off-a-keg-of-dubious-ownership method.

blacklab said:
Wouldn't you rather have a better product than a crappier one on tap?

That's pretty debatable since people win competitions all the time with extract brews.

I voted kegging. It has made it possible for me to brew a lot of beer in a lot less time, once I get a good stockpile of brew finished, and I am not spending all my money on ingredients, I will look at upgrading to AG from my PM.

My only other comment is that your not really comparing apples to apples unless you already have a freezer, a temp controller, faucets, etc... and all you need to buy are a couple corny kegs.

I voted kegging only because of the labor savings and the cold conditioning improvements.

I really want to answer both. What I would do is start hunting down some good deals for both processes. I expand my brewery when I happen to stumble upon good fortune in the clearance / second hand markets.

Mike

I voted kegging. You are already doing full boil extract, and as mentioned above there are a ton of award winning extract beers, so there is no reason you can't make some kicka$$ brews without going AG. I do think AG is absolutely a worthwhile investment as well (I do AG and keg) but if you have to pick one over the other in the short term, my opinion is keg it!

:mug:

Schlenkerla said:
Go with kegging, it saves time. AG takes more time.

this was my reasoning behind my recent investment in kegging supplies. right now i just can't justify spending an entire day brewing and then another half day scrubbing and bottling, although i'm sure i could be more efficient.

one other crucial "time" component for me is that i get to drink my brews earlier. as someone who's still figuring out what works and what doesn't it's nice to get feedback after 4 weeks versus 6 or 7. i still let the bigger beers age some but my hefe and heather ale are going straight to the tap.

I have a kegging system and still bottle about half my beer. I do really like the force carbing though, much more consistent.

I voted AG because I believe the end product is much better. I would rather take a bit of extra time bottling a great beer, that have a tap of a mediocre one. I know people win competitions with extract brews, I've just never had one. Maybe one day I will have an extract brewed beer that knocks my socks off, but that just has not happened. Until then... I really think AG is superior.

Liquidicem said:
What was your biggest improvement, AG or Kegging?

Depends on the improvement your looking for and more importantly your budget. I went AG first because it was cheaper and I could get a piece here and there. All the while making good beer. While I don't have anything close to a Brutus 10 system mine set me back less than $200 and it works great for me.

I voted for kegging though. So much easier than bottling. Kegging saves me time that I do not get a whole lot of. I would rather be brewing!

I would bet if you posted your budget you would get a whole different set of answers. ANd maybe get you setup with both.

:mug:

It's not really the budget part that I'm concerned about. It's keeping SWMBO happy. If figure if I and one new step to my process he would be ok with that.

I am leaning towards kegging though. With a new baby at home, something that shortens the brew process will be much more useful than something that makes my day longer.

Liquidicem said:
It's not really the budget part that I'm concerned about. It's keeping SWMBO happy. If figure if I and one new step to my process he would be ok with that.

I am leaning towards kegging though. With a new baby at home, something that shortens the brew process will be much more useful than something that makes my day longer.

If you like the beers you produce now, I say keg them. If you want to start taking more control over your final product, go AG.

FWIW: I just recently made the switch to AG after two years of extract brewing, and all of my brews have been kegged.

tm

Back