Kegging noob Why does pressure keep rising on regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codywatkins

Reaction score
I have a new kegging system from northern brewer and the regulator keeps showing the pressure inching up and not stabilizing. I have done leak checks and can’t find anything.

I assume you're referring to the low pressure reading. How long has it been since you pressurized the system? It can take a little longer for pressures to equalize than you might think. If you can find no leaks, proceed as follows:

Check your regulator for an internal leak. Close the valve on the gas bottle. Close the quarter turn outlet valve on the low pressure side of the regulator. Pull the pressure release valve until both gauges read zero. Then, open the valve on the bottle for a few seconds until the gauge readings stabilize. Then close the tank valve.

If the low pressure slowly increases you have an internal leak allowing gas to move from the high pressure side to the low pressure side. If this is the case, the regulator can be repaired, but since the system is new there should be some warranty. Contact NB customer service to find out what your options are.

I assume you're referring to the low pressure reading. How long has it been since you pressurized the system? It can take a little longer for pressures to equalize than you might think. If you can find no leaks, proceed as follows:

Check your regulator for an internal leak. Close the valve on the gas bottle. Close the quarter turn outlet valve on the low pressure side of the regulator. Pull the pressure release valve until both gauges read zero. Then, open the valve on the bottle for a few seconds until the gauge readings stabilize. Then close the tank valve.

If the low pressure slowly increases you have an internal leak allowing gas to move from the high pressure side to the low pressure side. If this is the case, the regulator can be repaired, but since the system is new there should be some warranty. Contact NB customer service to find out what your options are.
Thanks for the help

Did you carbonate your beer at a higher pressure than your current setting? I’m wondering if it is just CO2 escaping from your beer because there isn’t enough pressure to keep it dissolved. It’s a shot in the dark, but sometimes it’s the simplest things that cause issues.

I'm having the same issue now. Have a dual regulator. Just got a new keg. Checked all connections on the keg as well as the regulator and no leaks that I can fine. I usually carb my beers at 12 psi and the pressure in my new kegs keeps rising. The pressure on the other keg is stable.
I'm at a loss.

Yah I've had the same problem for a couple years, I just carb up my beers then use a ball valve I mounted on my regulators to cut off pressure on that regulator, occasionally let pressure back through to compensate for beer loss.

So I shut off the valve for this particular keg and the pressure rises. When I turn it back on it drops back down. However if I purge the keg the pressure slowly rises again. I've never had this issue before and I find it hard to believe that it's the regulator. I've sprayed down all keg posts and lid and didn't see any leaks. Sprayed the gas connections and again didn't see anything. I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be.

Pressure rises cuz your regulator isn't doing a proper job of stopping flow at the desired pressure. Don't worry about it rising if you can cut pressure to keg it honestly doesn't matter as long as you check your beer and kill PSI at desired pressure. Been doing this a while just can't forget about the cut off for a week cuz then you may over pressure the beer. If your pulling 1-2 beers every other day the little pressure bump won't probably be noticable by time the keg kicks

Not looking for a band aid fix here. I don't really want to replace a 1.5 yr old regulator either. Could it possibly be the gauge itself or the check valve?

Back