Kegging my latest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, I may have asked this before, and if I did I apologise, I looked thru my old posts and could not find it. I have a 5 gallon corny sitting in my kegerator. It is a 1.006 ale that I have the CO2 set at about 15psi. The kegerator is set to about 38 degrees. How long can I figure it is going to take to carbonate? I am going to be very patient with this one, and want to get it right (or at least try). So far, I let the fermentation run the length that was recommended on the yeast website. I used a hop bag when I dry hopped and sanitized the crap out of everything. I did what was my first attempt at a closed transfer and I think that worked out ok. So, my final question about this beer is simply how long to let it sit in the keg before I can taste it? I am figuring maybe Friday or Saturday at the earliest. Advise or comments welcomed, even the ones that said I screwed up. LOL. RR

If you're impatient, you can cut the time to carb down by going 30psi 24 hours, 20 psi 24 hours, then down to serving pressure. That'll get most beer carbed and ready to drink within 4-5 days. Takes longer for lighter and darker beer, at least for my personal experience. My neipa is carbed like that within 3 days, but it has a ton of wheat, which I feel grabs that carb faster. Higher alcohol beer takes longer too, like 2-3 weeks for a big stout.

If you're impatient, you can cut the time to carb down by going 30psi 24 hours, 20 psi 24 hours, then down to serving pressure. That'll get most beer carbed and ready to drink within 4-5 days. Takes longer for lighter and darker beer, at least for my personal experience. My neipa is carbed like that within 3 days, but it has a ton of wheat, which I feel grabs that carb faster. Higher alcohol beer takes longer too, like 2-3 weeks for a big stout.
Thank you, as Tom Petty once said, "The waiting is the hardest part' LOL. It's already been sitting at 15 for a day, I can wait a few more. I will try it saturday and see where I am.

It also depends on how carbed you want it. It will be lightly carbed by this weekend. I don't think sampling it over time is a bad idea because it will help you learn what cat level you like best (and how quickly the carb is increasing).

Back