Kegging line length and other newbie questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
New to keggging, just got a co2 tank, dual gauge regulator and keg, still need everything else including fridge. If you have any leads on fridges, let me know I'm looking for a smaller mini fridge, but a full size will work also, need it under 150 though. anyways back to my question, so from my understanding certain styles require certain line lengths to prevent foaming, correct? What is a good line length to get? Also I know there is some debate on putting the co2 tank and regulator in the fridge or not, what do you think? Lastly I'm a little confused on pressure for carbing/serving. Since I'm ok with waiting on my beer to carb, I will refer to the chart on temp vs volumes desired vs psi. My question is once carbed, do I dial the pressure down to 10-12psi and leave it there? Thanks for the help I can't wait to get this thing running.

For fridges, I would recommend craigslist, especially if you don't mind a full size one. I got mind for free! It's older and in bad shape cosmetically, but it keeps the beer cold, which is all I care about!

For line length it's better to have too long than too short. Longer line gives more backpressure, preventing foaming. The longer the line, the slower the pour. Most people use either 5 or 10 feet of line for serving at normal pressures.

If you want to use the "set it and forget it" carb method (sounds like you do since you don't mind waiting), you can simply serve at the same pressure at which you carb.

Cool thanks a ton, I foundout tonight if I dot want to have to walk out to the garage everytime I want a beer I have to have a small fridge so I'll keep my eye out. So then there's really nothing I need to worry about, just set the pressure at what the table says, wait a week or two and serve? So no ideal length just between 5-10 ft? I'd prefer less foam but if I do 10 ft what am I looking at on pour time, 5min? Also can I just take a 10 ft and cut it until I reach my desired pour/time?

If your in no hurry, carb the right way, temp and volumes of co2. Serving pressure is no different! I would start with 6 to 8 feet of line max. You can cut line, but it's hard to add.:mug:

Check my sig for a good carb chart.

Cool thx a ton can't wait to get my Pliny kit going and into the keg. Btw who are the girls in your pic. Super hot.

Check out the sticky kegging FAQ since there are actual measurements for pressure vs length vs height of the tap over the keg to get a perfect pour. The most general line set up is a 3/16 diameter liquid grade tubing at a length of 5-6 ft with a presuure of 10-12 psi. That will get you a solid pour within 10 seconds. But definitely check out some of the links in the FAQ. They helped me out a ton!

I set my keg at 35 psi and shake the keg while connected to the co2 for a count of 100. I then let it sit connected in the fridge @ 35 for 24 hours. I take it down to my serving psi of 9. Beer is drinkable in a few days, but dosent reach it's best tast untill about a week or 2. A Pliny will probally take about 3-4 months until it reaches it prime. That is a big beer. I am sure everybody does it their own way, but it works for me

3-4months?? My understanding is to drink it young. Please clarify.

I set my keg at 35 psi and shake the keg while connected to the co2 for a count of 100. I then let it sit connected in the fridge @ 35 for 24 hours. I take it down to my serving psi of 9. Beer is drinkable in a few days, but dosent reach it's best tast untill about a week or 2. A Pliny will probally take about 3-4 months until it reaches it prime. That is a big beer. I am sure everybody does it their own way, but it works for me

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny the Elder clone PDF.pdf

Here is a link. This is from the brewer himself. I would have the beer sit in the primary for a min of 3 weeks. Transfer to secondary, and you are looking at almost another 3 weeks of dry hoping. After transfering to the keg it will be carbed in say another two. But this beer will still tast "young". While you can
drink it when carbed, you will be much happier with it ageing for another month or so.

This is a big beer at aprox 8.5% I have a pale ale that I brewed on Nov 2 @ 5.2%. While I did have many sAmples after about 6 weeks. The beer is just starting to hit it's peek. You can drink the beer earlier.....but it will be a bit green

Latest posts

Back