Kegging Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
I recently got two used kegs. I cleaned them and sanitized them and rack 5 gals of beer into one of them.
I assembled all the lines and stuff for the kegarator with hose clamps and etc.
I first tried the system with star san to sanatize the lines and it workd perfectly.
However, when I turned on the gas in the keg with the beer, i hear a weird sound, it wasnt hissing, but it was weird and it seemed to come somewhere in the system.
I was too tired to figure if it was a leak or something so I just set the regulator to 15 psi and went to sleep.
Today there was no sound, but I tried to fill a couple of bottles using the beer tower and the pressure was way too slow, it took me like a minute to fill a bottle.
Is that slow flow expected when the beer is not carbonated?
Is it the sound of the co2 getting in the keg?

Im just concerned cause it might be a leak and might end up loosing the co2.

I tried researching online but I couldnt find a single thing

I recently got two used kegs. I cleaned them and sanitized them and rack 5 gals of beer into one of them.
I assembled all the lines and stuff for the kegarator with hose clamps and etc.
I first tried the system with star san to sanatize the lines and it workd perfectly.
However, when I turned on the gas in the keg with the beer, i hear a weird sound, it wasnt hissing, but it was weird and it seemed to come somewhere in the system.
I was too tired to figure if it was a leak or something so I just set the regulator to 15 psi and went to sleep.
Today there was no sound, but I tried to fill a couple of bottles using the beer tower and the pressure was way too slow, it took me like a minute to fill a bottle.
Is that slow flow expected when the beer is not carbonated?
Is it the sound of the co2 getting in the keg?

Im just concerned cause it might be a leak and might end up loosing the co2.

I tried researching online but I couldnt find a single thing

the beer should be pouring out. You may have a leak or a clog.

too many variables to be sure. I would pressurize it (ideally, empty, so extra pressure doesn't get adsorbed into the beer over time), leave it for a day or so, disconnected, and then see if it's still pressurized (just press on the gas in poppet).
That should tell if you have a major leak.

It could also be something is clogged - the line, or the poppet or the inlet tube.

the beer should be pouring out. You may have a leak or a clog.

too many variables to be sure. I would pressurize it (ideally, empty, so extra pressure doesn't get adsorbed into the beer over time), leave it for a day or so, disconnected, and then see if it's still pressurized (just press on the gas in poppet).
That should tell if you have a major leak.

It could also be something is clogged - the line, or the poppet or the inlet tube.

So when you rack the beer to the keg and turn on the gas you can still serve the beer at a regular pressure? Even though you just turned on the co2?

So when you rack the beer to the keg and turn on the gas you can still serve the beer at a regular pressure? Even though you just turned on the co2?

Yes.

If you turn on CO2 at, say, 12psi, you'll pour beer at that pressure. How much the beer is carbonated isn't the determining factor--it's how much head pressure there is in the keg.

How do I get that out?

Disconnect the gas line, and the liquid line. Unscrew the tailpiece from the shank, then clean out the line. You can also run a thin wire or pipe cleaner or some such up the shank and out the tap to ensure there's nothing clogged there.

When it's clear, sanitize and reassemble, then run some sanitizer through the lines to clear them.

Back