Kegging early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccabrew

Reaction score
I had my beer in the primary fermenter last Sunday, it's now Friday. My beer was racked off into the carboy yesterday and there arent any bubbles for at least 2 and a half minutes in my airlock and the beer is pretty clear. Can I keg my beer this early?

I had my beer in the primary fermenter last Sunday, it's now Friday. My beer was racked off into the carboy yesterday and there arent any bubbles for at least 2 and a half minutes in my airlock and the beer is pretty clear. Can I keg my beer this early?

How did your FG reading compare to the estimated FG? That's usually a better indication of fermentation than watching an airlock. You can set an airlock off by bumping the fermentor the wrong way, so it's not as reliable when used to determine fermentation cessation.

Yes. That is one of the beauties of kegging - no danger of bottle bombs. It is all in one vessel so it bulk ages well.

The only "drawback" is you might get some extra yeast settling out so you will have more yeasty pints when you first tap the keg before it finally pours clear.

Back