kegging bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe22

Reaction score
i have 2 cases left of an ale that the first 2 cases i drank took for ever for it to get any carbonation. it did after a month but the last two cases i have had for 5 months and i just drank 5 of them and and nothing . i am tempted to just dump it into a keg and force carbonate it so i don't wast and more of it. dose any one see a problem with this ?

Just be careful not to aerate it at all, and it should be fine. Maybe fill the keg with CO2 and purge it several times, and then carefully transfer it into the keg, so it's only in contact with the CO2 in the keg. I don't believe oxidation should be an issue if you make sure not to come in contact with oxygen.

thats it then i am going to do it as soon as i get an open keg

Does this work vice versa?

If you have a keg of carbed up beer you can bottle it with a beer gun or similar bottle filling device (search HBT, there are a few different kinds). I had a similar issue with a pumpkin ale last year. dumped it all into a keg, carbed it up and it was fine.

Back