Kegging beer and rootbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpySquirrel

Reaction score
So, I'm having a housewarming party this weekend and have had zero luck getting my rootbeer carbonated. Today I saw some other posts that I'd need longer hose and different serving pressure. Wish I knew that when I started.

I was hoping someone had an idea how I could dispense both from my coffin keeper for the party. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I sometimes brew root beer and other sodas, and carbing sodas is normally really easy. What was your PSI, temp, time?

Hose length and serving pressure will effect how it comes out of the tap, but don't effect it actually carbonating.

Is it literally not carbonating (zero) or just not dispensing like you want it?

Literally zero carbonation. I set it at 30 psi for about 30 hours. I even tried carbing through the out valve instead, but not for long.

Since my party is tomorrow and I have no carbonation whatsoever, is there any salvaging the root beer?

The beer is great, btw. :)

Literally zero carbonation. I set it at 30 psi for about 30 hours. I even tried carbing through the out valve instead, but not for long.

Since my party is tomorrow and I have no carbonation whatsoever, is there any salvaging the root beer?

The beer is great, btw. :)

It needs 30 psi (at fridge temps) for about a week or more, and not just a day. Soda is very highly carbed, compared to beer. While my beer is great at 12 psi, the soda is normally at 30-40 psi (and kept there). That's why there is a long serving line, to keep it from blasting out like a fire hose.

If you want it carbonated for this weekend, and the keg is cold, you can try the blast and shake method. You want to turn the pressure on at about 35 psi and roll/shake until you hear the gas stop going in. Do that several times, and then keep it at 35 psi at 40 degrees, and it should be carbed up within an hour or so.

Thanks Yooper. I saw a lot saying it needed more time, just a bit too late. I'll try that method and hope for the best!

Yes, upping the pressure and agitating the keg vigorously can dramatically speed up the process. I do this for carbed water/mineral water, but then Im only shaking a liter bottle.

FYI that worked really well. Basically did it about 5 times (filled, disconnected, shaked, repeat) and it was perfect. Did have a bit of foam on the pours, but that was expected.

Thanks for the tips!

Hope you don't mind if I borrow this thread:

I just started kegging (actually haven't even charged the keg yet) and don't have a keezer. The root beer I have ready in the keg now will have to be stored and served in the garage which is probably about 50 degrees right now. I was hoping to do this with the picnic tap and 1-1/2' line that came with the keg. Is this possible at all. Even if it is only partially carbonated I need to get this root beer flowing because I will be giving it out as Christmas gifts.

So my real question is what PSI will I need to charge it to at 50 degrees F and for how long, with 1-1/2' of line, and a picnic tap. Even if the carbonation is mediocre. Just want a good pour.

Hope you don't mind if I borrow this thread:

I just started kegging (actually haven't even charged the keg yet) and don't have a keezer. The root beer I have ready in the keg now will have to be stored and served in the garage which is probably about 50 degrees right now. I was hoping to do this with the picnic tap and 1-1/2' line that came with the keg. Is this possible at all. Even if it is only partially carbonated I need to get this root beer flowing because I will be giving it out as Christmas gifts.

So my real question is what PSI will I need to charge it to at 50 degrees F and for how long, with 1-1/2' of line, and a picnic tap. Even if the carbonation is mediocre. Just want a good pour.

Your question is on subject so no problem posting to an existing thread. Good idea in fact because keeps related info together.

Sodas are usually highly carbonated. CO2 absorption rate is a function primarily of pressure, temp, and time. CO2 absorbs faster at cooler temps. 50 is higher than normally prefered, but will still work. Crank it up to about 35 PSI for a week and it will carb. As C02 absorbs the pressure will drop so maintain the pressure either by leaving it on the gas or topping it up regularly. The downside to leaving it on continuosly is that if you have a leak you may lose a lot of gas. I usually just top up for that reason. Drop it back down to about 8-10 to serve...this is enough pressure to keep the gas in solution and to push liquid out of the keg.

You can also agitate the keg to speed up the process.

There are formulas & tables you can use to be more precise about this, but the above should work for you.

I have to differ on this- in order to have a soda nicely carbed at 50 degrees, the regulator has to be at about 40 psi or higher (my chart doesn't go that high, so it's a guess).

Warm soda (and warm beer) that is carbonated foams like heck. Trying to serve it with foot-long lines is like trying to serve a glass of water through a fire hose. It will be a huge foamy sticky mess. The easy fix is to buy 40 feet of line (it's about 15 cents a foot) from McMaster-Carr and just coil the line up with a ziptie. I know epoxy mixers work too, but I don't think it would be enough with 40 psi at warmer temperatures.

I have to differ on this- in order to have a soda nicely carbed at 50 degrees, the regulator has to be at about 40 psi or higher (my chart doesn't go that high, so it's a guess).

Warm soda (and warm beer) that is carbonated foams like heck. Trying to serve it with foot-long lines is like trying to serve a glass of water through a fire hose. It will be a huge foamy sticky mess. The easy fix is to buy 40 feet of line (it's about 15 cents a foot) from McMaster-Carr and just coil the line up with a ziptie. I know epoxy mixers work too, but I don't think it would be enough with 40 psi at warmer temperatures.

Yooper,

As a long time reader and appreciative followerof your amazing advice I have a question. Maybe a stupid question, but a question nonetheless) What type of line do you buy for 15 cents a foot? I have been finding food grade line at $1-2 per foot. That is a huge difference. At 15 cents a foot I would keep some around 'just in case'.

Wstbrewing

I got it from McMaster-Carr. I'll find the link, but I'll need to search around a bit first.

Edit- here it is: http://www.mcmaster.com/#5181k42/=v0aiz6

It's semi-rigid, so I wouldn't want to use it in a kegerator when I'm moving kegs around and in and out, but for soda on a picnic tap, it was perfect. I ordered 50 feet, and used 30' on one soda keg, and still have the rest somewhere.

All of my beer lines are at 10 ft, 3/16"......Should I be getting a different line for soda?

All of my beer lines are at 10 ft, 3/16"......Should I be getting a different line for soda?

You don't have to- but 10' is very short for something that may be at 30 psi. It wouldn't be unusual to need 25-30' for soda. Also, things like root beer NEVER come out of your line, so you may want to dedicate one line just for root beer. Ginger ale comes out after time, but root beer never does.

A question for cycleguy, you want to carb at 50F, but what temp do you plan for serving?

I always have both beer and root beer on tap. I have two regulators (a dual). Beer is 12psi, root beer 40psi.

To serve beer, all my 3/16 lines are 10'.

To serve root beer, the serving line is 30'. Less and it will pour too fast and foam when dispensed.

I also shake the heck out of the root beer keg when carbonating. I recommend having a manifold off your regulator with a bunch of valves on it. Have a very long run of gas hose on one of the valves. That way you can lay your keg on the ground while the gas is connected and roll it back and forth for a few minutes. You can hear the gas moving through the regulator when you do this. Keep doing it till you don't hear that any more.

I recommend always using flexible line, whether in brewing or carbonating or serving. The stuff that gets stiff when cold is a royal pain in the ass. The good stuff isn't much more considering the other costs of brewing. Be kind to yourself and buy the line made for the application.

I filled a growler with the picnic tap at 30 psi and got about 1/4 foam. Which isn't bad, but it may get worse as it hasn't fully carbonated it yet. When I filled the growler it had only be on the CO2 for a couple of days. I hope the Blichmann beer gun I ordered will keep the foam down when I fill bottles and growlers.

I'll pour a glass on Friday and see how it goes.

Back