Kegged Monday Night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer Monday night and I drew one last night to test it. It still tastes like exactly like it did when I kegged it. I have my keezer set to around 36 degrees and I have a thermometer in the keezer that shows to be around 38 degrees. The co2 is set to 10-11 psi.

I've been reading a lot of people on here state that they initially put their beer on 20 psi for about 3 days and then back it down. Should I have done that, and if so, is it too late to do it now? I would have thought I'd have noticed at least a slight difference by now.

At that pressure it's not going to be very carbed yet. With that method, it seems like it takes around 2 weeks before it really seems like it's ready. Lately I've been doing a combination of the two methods. I'll set it at around 30 psi for the first 24-36 hours. Then I'll set it to around 10 and leave it. It's drinkable after the first blast, but at a week or so it seems perfect.

As for your situation, you can speed it up by raising it for a short while, but since you've already had it carbing for a few days, I'd be careful not to overcarb. I might set it to 30 for 12 hours or so, then get it back down to 10. Or just wait it out and it'll get a lot better next week. :mug:

You're fine. Beerman is right about the 10 to 14 days. I've had success in 7 days before with "set it and forget it". You could do it quicker, but I've never had a beer that tasted right before at least 1 to 2 weeks in the keg, so there really is no point (to me) to carb it quicker.

At that pressure it's not going to be very carbed yet. With that method, it seems like it takes around 2 weeks before it really seems like it's ready. Lately I've been doing a combination of the two methods. I'll set it at around 30 psi for the first 24-36 hours. Then I'll set it to around 10 and leave it. It's drinkable after the first blast, but at a week or so it seems perfect.

As for your situation, you can speed it up by raising it for a short while, but since you've already had it carbing for a few days, I'd be careful not to overcarb. I might set it to 30 for 12 hours or so, then get it back down to 10. Or just wait it out and it'll get a lot better next week. :mug:

This is almost EXACTLY what I do as well. I also set at 30 for the first 12-24hrs and then back it down to my serving pressure for up to a week. Then, it seems just about perfect.

So should I go ahead and up it to maybe 24 overnight and then back it down to 10 in the morning or do I stand the chance to ruin the beer doing it that way?

No, you're not going to ruin it. I'd crank it up to 30 and leave it for 24-36 hours now. The one day at 10psi will not have done much.

Then back it down to your serving pressure. It will be drinkable immediately, but will get better over the next several days.

Okay..I turned my regulator up to 25 this morning and I was going to turn it back down tomorrow morning to 10. Should I shake the keg before doing this, after doing this, or not shake it at all?

Okay..I turned my regulator up to 25 this morning and I was going to turn it back down tomorrow morning to 10. Should I shake the keg before doing this, after doing this, or not shake it at all?

Don't shake! All of the sediment will be settling to the bottom and the beer will be carbing up. I'm more a fan of the "leave it alone" from the beginning, but no harm will come to having it at 25-30 psi for 24 hours or so.

Back