Kegerator trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnie7781

Reaction score
My kegerator likes to freeze my beer line. I don't mind that so much, all I have to do is crack open the door for 10-15 minutes (depending on outside temperature) and the problem is solved.

Today, the temperature is 90 degrees. I opened the door so I could pour a pint, got distracted with household chores, and forgot all about the beer. 4 hours later I poured a pint and got nothing but foam. I figured it was a temperature problem. I've shut the door and it's been 4 hours and it's still pouring straight foam. CO2 is still set @ 12psi. Any suggestions?

Let it chill. Try again tommorow. I once managed a local animal club and we had a tiny cooler that held 2 sanke kegs at a chilly 55f. Anywho, when we would switch a keg out from room temp, it would take at least overnight to get liquid instead of foam

Thought so.

Over the winter it wasn't a big deal. I got used to leaving the door open for hours and it didn't matter because the temperature was so low (close to fridge temps). Learned this lesson the hard way. Thanks!

You may want to look into insulating that line so it doesnt freeze again. Maybe some closed cell pipe insulation from the depot?

Disregard for now. I went to inspect the drip tube for debris. I removed the liquid disconnect and beer went flying everywhere. I quickly bled the CO2 and noticed the poppet valve wasn't flush. I removed the valve and the drip tube. Found some hops in the drip tube as well as around the springs of the poppet valve. Removed the hops and reassembled. Peaked inside the keg and noticed quite a bit of foam. I'll let it sit overnight and see if it settles. Hopefully everything is a go tomorrow night.

Needless to say, I feel kind of silly. But what are the odds debris is the culprit on the day I let my beer warm up 20 degrees?

Back