kegerator tower cooler [ home built and cheap]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justfun29860

Reaction score
I built a tower cooler with a 12 volt cpu fan [a computer cooling fan..available at radio shack], a 1/2 inch plyable/flexable clear tubing 3-4'' long [available at lowes ] a 12volt used cell phone charger [look in your junk drawer, you might have 3 or 4 of them !] 3' of speaker wire and a 4" funnel.....i mounted the fan to the funnel [ be sure the fan is in the right flow direction], then soldered the output wires from the phone charger to the fan wires, then soldered speaker wire to the phone charger "plug in wall " terminals, then jumped the speaker wires to the thermostat control ! NOTE; BE SURE TO PUT HEAT SHRINK TUBE OR ELECTRICAL TAPE AROUND YOUR SOLDERED CONNECTIONS !!!..then feed the hose up the tower and have the fan hang about 2" off the kegerator interior floor.the whole project took about an hour ! [did not cost me anything, i had this stuff lying around the shop!]..now the tower stays cool and no more foaming on my awesome tasting keg of blue moon !!!...CHEERS...:mug:

I'm sorry, I have no electrical experience, but I'm trying to build my own tower cooler myself right now, along these lines for use in this Igloo kegerator. Are you saying that instead of plugging the phone charger into an outlet, you can wire it to the thermostat controller inside the fridge and get power for the fan? Does this mean the fan only comes on when the compressor comes on?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Also, I think this is in the wrong forum.

Back