Kegerator setup with 1 Craft Brewery Keg & 1 Home Brew Cornie Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has a homebrew keg hooked up on the same regulator and CO2 tank as a craft brew keg? I bought the CO2 Splitter but I am now looking at the whole setup and thinking that the same pressure on 2 different types of kegs wont work... Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hi guys, wondering if anyone has a homebrew keg hooked up on the same regulator and CO2 tank as a craft brew keg? I bought the CO2 Splitter but I am now looking at the whole setup and thinking that the same pressure on 2 different types of kegs wont work... Can anyone confirm or deny?

It'll work, but the carbonation levels of the beers might be different. They'll equalize over time, but when you add a commercial keg new to the system it may be too highly or too lowly carbonated for the system.

Thanks bwarbiany, so there's a chance that the commercial keg wont pour as well as the homebrew keg? But overall, it should work the way I have it set up?

Thanks bwarbiany, so there's a chance that the commercial keg wont pour as well as the homebrew keg? But overall, it should work the way I have it set up?

Exactly. If the commercial keg is less carbonated than your system usually operates on, it'll start pouring fine, slowly rise in carbonation level, and then it will reach your normal serving pressure naturally in short order and still be pouring fine. If your commercial keg is *more* carbonated than your system usually operates on, you'll have foamy pours until the system equalizes. If you find this to be the case, you might have to vent CO2 pressure to release that carbonation periodically over a few days to let it reach the right level.

I just hooked up a 1/4 of Oberon and pretty close to what bwarbiany said is happening.

The Oberon is pouring foamy but a lot slower than the cornie. To make it look like it is pouring like a normal tap I have to crank the regulator up to around 12psi. Is that OK? I'm just affraid the Oberon will go flat, which we cannot let happen! Any ideas?

Back