Kegerator produces all foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Had my keg for a few months now and I'm having trouble with it pouring basically 7/8 of a mug with all foam. It seems like the pressure is perfect for about 1 week about 2 weeks into kegging but then after that, nothing but foam.

My pressure is set to 10-12 PSI (which I think is normal for an ale) and I'm not quite sure on the length of the tubing as I haven't switch it out since buying. My guess its around 3 feet. Is this enough?

Any suggestions/spots I should be looking?

Thanks

What temperature are you using? Warmer can contribute to the foaming issue.

3 ft is probably too short and causing some of the problem. Think about going to 10' lines. You can always shorten them later if needed. You may need to drop the serving pressure down to 7-8psi to compensate for the short lines, but then the beer will eventually lose some carb.

Finally, if you don't already do so, avoid partially opening the tap. Full on or full off, but not in between. Even the best setup will foam if you just crack the tap a bit.

3 ft is probably too short and causing some of the problem. Think about going to 10' lines. You can always shorten them later if needed. You may need to drop the serving pressure down to 7-8psi to compensate for the short lines, but then the beer will eventually lose some carb.

Finally, if you don't already do so, avoid partially opening the tap. Full on or full off, but not in between. Even the best setup will foam if you just crack the tap a bit.

I have the same issues, good advice. What do u do with all that line though, roll it up? Tie it above the tap handle?

I have the same issues, good advice. What do u do with all that line though, roll it up? Tie it above the tap handle?

If you are using a keezer or kegerator, simply put the excess line in loops down along the sides of the kegs to keep it as cool as possible.

I'm currently using 5' lines (the length that came with my 3-faucet setup) at 38-39*F, a hair under 10psi and it works fine. At some point, I'll probably step up to 10' lines and bump the pressure to 11-12psi, but I'm in no hurry to do that.

HoppyMcHopster said:
Had my keg for a few months now and I'm having trouble with it pouring basically 7/8 of a mug with all foam. It seems like the pressure is perfect for about 1 week about 2 weeks into kegging but then after that, nothing but foam.

My pressure is set to 10-12 PSI (which I think is normal for an ale) and I'm not quite sure on the length of the tubing as I haven't switch it out since buying. My guess its around 3 feet. Is this enough?

Any suggestions/spots I should be looking?

Thanks

I've got a related question. I'm running two kegs of homebrew and one keg of New Belgium. I can reduce foaming of the New Belgium (Ranger) by dropping the CO2 to 5-8 psi, but the homebrew is still too foamy. (my keezer is at 40 degrees and I have 5' beer lines). Question is do I really need to prime my beer when I keg it? Since I'll be force carbonating it with CO2 anyway, my thought was I might eliminate the excess foaming if I didn't prime it to begin with (plus, my beer would be ready to drink sooner, right?
;-).

thanks for any guidance/suggestions.

I've got a related question. I'm running two kegs of homebrew and one keg of New Belgium. I can reduce foaming of the New Belgium (Ranger) by dropping the CO2 to 5-8 psi, but the homebrew is still too foamy. (my keezer is at 40 degrees and I have 5' beer lines). Question is do I really need to prime my beer when I keg it? Since I'll be force carbonating it with CO2 anyway, my thought was I might eliminate the excess foaming if I didn't prime it to begin with (plus, my beer would be ready to drink sooner, right?
;-).

thanks for any guidance/suggestions.

Your beer is probably over carbed. Go ahead and release all the pressure and give it a shake. let it sit for about an hour, release some pressure again, hook back up to the CO2 and try pouring another glass. If its still foamy repeat the process. If the ranger is pouring just fine then I'd bet your beer just needs to be tamed down a touch.

I'd release some of the pressure off the homebrew kegs several times over the next day or so and see if that helps. I wouldn't shake them.

I don't prime kegged brews with sugar. Two weeks in the keezer at 10psi and they're good to go. The only reason I can think of that I'd want to sugar prime is if I were going to use a portable setup with the little 12-16 gram CO2 cartridges.

The temperature is in the high 20's / low 30's so I don't think thats the problem. Perhaps the colder temperature is actually helping the CO2 absorb better causing excess foam.

Now this is a dumb question but when you say I need longer lines, is that the tubing from the Tap to the keg or is it the lines from the CO2 tank to the keg?

HoppyMcHopster said:
The temperature is in the high 20's / low 30's so I don't think thats the problem. Perhaps the colder temperature is actually helping the CO2 absorb better causing excess foam.

Now this is a dumb question but when you say I need longer lines, is that the tubing from the Tap to the keg or is it the lines from the CO2 tank to the keg?

From the tap to the keg.

I run 4-5 foot lines at 39 degrees, set to 7-9psi, and do not have foam issues. I'd definitely try purging your kegs of Co2 and dropping the pressure to 8 or so and see how that works out.

My beer lines are 17 inches, yes that is correct. Carb and serve at 11-13 psi with no issues. I just add one epoxy mix stick to the beer tube on the keg. Pull the post drop it in and put it back together

I got mine from Graingers

Rick

image.jpg

First I would look at what size beer line you are running.. In these short of runs it should be 3/16" any smaller means it will produce more pressure because it is intended for much longer runs. Second thing is how is your glassware, this is an easy step to forget.. Dirty glassware with beer makes for a poor pour. To fine tune your system...After beer is carbed purge then turn your regulator down to 2 psi and start bringing up to an optimum pour standard. This will probably be much lower then what your carbing at. This does not necessarily mean you want to leave it at this level since the C02 will start to leave the beer due to the lower added pressure, resulting in flat product. The reason for this it will give you a variable to work with. You can now change temp, beer line length, cleaning methods, etc. When it improves to a stable pressure between 8-12 psi you set and forget. I have lines run outside of the kegerator through a wall into a bar area and don't foam. Clean systems are happy systems!

I battled this problem for (literally) two years. I tried longer lines. No luck. Natural carbing rather than force. No luck. Finally after much frustration went back to bottling. Got tired of that and tried to give it another shot. My kegerator is in the garage. I thought it might be the temp difference, so I tried picnic taps and kept them in the kegerator. That worked - which also narrowed the problem to two issues. Either the temp difference between the outside and the taps OR the taps themselves. Took the taps apart and gave them a good cleaning. Hooked it back up with the taps and bingo. The taps were the problem the whole time. Hope this helps anyone with the frustration. Now the kegs give great carved beer with just the right head.

Any chance at that low of a temp u r causing your lines to start to frost up or even starting to freeze the bottom of your keg?

Back