Kegerator Modifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just scored a free kegerator. my friends neighbor put a bunch of things on the curb for pickup. It's still working and in fairly nice condition! My question is, it's set up for a sanke with one faucet. I would like to set it up for two corneys. If I buy a second faucet is there a way I can drill into the tower to add the faucet? Or would I need to but a tower with two faucets?

your probably gonna have to but a new tower. Try beveragefactory.com. that where i got all my stuff. you canmake custom setups with just the parts u need or buy a whole complete kit.

If the tower is big enough and you have the tools you should be able to add a second tap to that tower.

Parts wise you will need the faucet and elbow or 90 degree shank for the current tower.

If you dont have a decent step bit to drill it you will need to add that to your cost.

For the current sanke tap, just cut off the sanke tap and add ball or pin lock disconnects and your in business.

Im in the same boat as you. Currently my second keg is just using a picnic tap inside the door.
Ive looked at the pricing of new two tap tower vs adding to mine. Comes down to about $30 bucks difference if you count the cost of a decent step bit as I dont own one.

Thanks for that link. Looks like everything I could ever need on there! Any advice on what hardware I might need? Right now I'm just using a picnic tap off my 5 gallon corney. I've never messed with these before.

Don't use a tower so don't want to speak to any of the cooling options, but definitely splurge for the Perlick faucets. If you don't do it now, you're just gonna do it in a year and then you'll have a couple of cheap faucets taking up space in a drawer somewhere (speaking from experience :)). The 525SS are the basic faucet, the 575SS have a creamer function that some people really like and other people just replicate by slightly opening the faucet on the 525.

i made a second hole in mine without a step bit. It was a pain and took about an hour but its possible. I made several small holes with a drill then took a dremel to it. In the long run a step bit would have been much easier but if you are strapped for cash it can be done without one. But what am i saying you got a free kegerator so therefore i hate you

haha, I think my friends hate me also! I couldn't believe someone would just put that out for free. I may try making the second hole. I figure if I screw it up I'll just go ahead and buy the new two faucet tower.

yeah i guess you should at least try and like you said and if you screw up you will just buy one! If you end up getting tower from that link it will come with tubes going to each faucet and you can select which connection you need on the other end (sanke, ball lock, pin lock) if you go with ball or pin lock the tubes come with ends on them that are used for hooking up to sanke keg adapter. they send clamps you just cut the end off and clamp the one you ordered on.

haha, I think my friends hate me also! I couldn't believe someone would just put that out for free. I may try making the second hole. I figure if I screw it up I'll just go ahead and buy the new two faucet tower.

or try to sell the single tower here to help fund the double tower you buy.

I just ran across those connections on another site. That would be great and make swapping out kegs a breeze!

I checked out the kegerator and right now it only has a 2.5" dia. tower. Is this too small to even think about installing a second faucet? I'm thinking I might be better off just removing the existing tower, drilling a larger hole and installing a 3" tower.

Mine tower is 2.5 inch as well. I look at parts + step bit and its ~70ish after tax and shipping.
Thin I look at this Here
And Im still playing the game of is $30 worth the hassle and headache?
If I sell my current tower and shank for 20-30 bucks its a complete wash on the price difference.

Back