Kegerator Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwaven

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been thinking I'd like to buy basic economic kegerator and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. Firstly I've never "kegged" before so I'd still having to learn that part. Historically I've bottled.

I found this one: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/danby-54-cu-ft-compact-keg-cooler/6000190031904

Looks decent enough for me.

I'm wondering what else I would need to get with it? I realize a keg would be a good start, but which one? Ideally I'd like to have more than one keg fit inside the fridge to keep cool.

The 5Gal Cornelius Ball Lock Keg's look like they would work well.

Any other attachments?

Hope someone can help.

Cheers!

Dude, look on CL for a used fridge, many are free, but ugly (perfect for the garage). Paint it up and drill some holes, add your taps. I get 6 kegs in my side by side "free" fridge.

There are dozens of posts on this site for info...use the search.

Don't know if you can order from Walmart.com, but this might save you a buck or two and should be sufficient to get you going. Might want to consider changing out the tower for a dual-tap tower, which would require an additional tap and more liquid lines as well as a CO2 splitter or secondary regulator and gas lines.

I bought a whole kit with the hoses, CO2 tank, fittings, 2kegs, etc included. I'd recommend doing that or else youll be making several online order and trips to the hardware store to get you all set up. Plus, itll save time. This is what I got, no drilling into the fridge required:
http://www.kegerator.com/edgestar-ultra-low-temp-home-brew-dual-tap-kegerator-kegs-kc2000twinhbkg/KC2000TWINHBKG.html?cgid=Kegerators-Homebrew_Kegerators

I'd definitely recommend it. If you add up the cost of the kegs, hoses, disconnects, fittings, CO2 tank, regulator, etc its a great deal. Even if you find a fridge on craiglist, youll have to drill it and make sure it can fit kegs. This thing is all inclusive, even comes mostly hooked up. check it out

The only issue I had was the thermostat only got the kegs to like 40F. Which is fine for some people but I like my beer cold, regardless of style. Luckily theres a video on youtube on how to adjust the thermostats limits so now I can get my kegs below freezing if i want!

Hey all,

Thanks for your replies.

Don't really want a full size fridge as I don't have the space for this. I also like the idea of the smaller ones coming ready to be used as a kegerator with little or no modification required.

Checked Walmart.com, fridge also looks good. In all likely hood they wouldnt ship it and if they would it would cost a lot for shipping I'm sure. :( I may still look around at other fridges. Still trying to get an idea of that parts I need.

Modifying the fridge is probably something I'd do later. Adding dual taps...etc. For now I think just getting something working is good for me. :)

So still not totally sure on what I should get for the fridge. Would the keg I listed be ideal/recommended? If so, do I need anything else to hook it up?

Cheers!

Hey m00ps,

Saw your reply after my previous reply. Yeah that looks like a good way to go. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding Canadian places to buy from. Checked the site and they don't ship to Canada. :(

There are intermediate shippers that I could use so its not out of the question yet but would probably cost at least another $100-150 if I went that way.

damn, well I'd check a few other sites. I can;t find any that have the kegs and everything included, but amazons got a great deal on teh kegertor itself with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/EdgeStar-Full-Kegerator-Draft-Dispenser/dp/B00655U4TG

From there, I'd recommend getting an all-inclusive kegerator startup kit from a big site like northern brewer or adventures in homebrewing. Trust me, as someone who recently had to ascend the learning curve of kegging, its much easier to buy something that people who know what they are doing assembled with all the parts needed. If I had bought everything piece by piece I probably still wouldnt be kegging yet

Last edited by a moderator:
They all appear to be the same in design and wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory, lots of money to spend on a ready made unit IMHO, I use a free (Craigslist) dorm refrigerator and a beer tower, controlled by a STC-1000 with a DPST switch to turn off the heater when using it for a cooler.

The best part is that I can also use it as a fermenter with the heating switched on. It looks just like the black one pictured but without the railing.

They all appear to be the same in design and wouldn't be surprised if they are all made in the same factory, lots of money to spend on a ready made unit IMHO, I use a free (Craigslist) dorm refrigerator and a beer tower, controlled by a STC-1000 with a DPST switch to turn off the heater when using it for a cooler.

The best part is that I can also use it as a fermenter with the heating switched on. It looks just like the black one pictured but without the railing.

That's a very good suggestion, if you're willing to DIY. If not, then get one of the various kegerators made by Curtis, Intl. Brand name doesn't really matter, but make sure you get at least 4 CU Ft, as otherwise, you're going to have a LOT of problems getting even a single 5 Gallon keg in there.

I bought an Edgestar dual tap kegerator and I like it. I did have to replace the taps with Perlicks, get longer lines, and add a fan with a line into the tower to cool it.

If I had to do all over again, I'd definitely make my own with a chest freezer. There's really not much to it. No matter which way you decide to go, you'll love kegging. Good luck!

Good point, bring an empty fermenter and corny with you to the store if you must. They may look at you strangly but they will let you fit up in the store if you tell them what you are looking for.

Personally, I'd never buy a kegerator with only one tap. As soon as you start kegging, you'll want more taps.

I started with a three tap, then upgraded to a four tap (as big as I can go with my current setup). And now I'm already planning on building a bigger 6-8 tap system. It's just nice to have so much variety on tap. I'm also not itching to kick a keg so that I can put another one on very often. If I just had a single one, I'd be constantly ready to have another beer on tap... But I like to drink a wide variety of beers, rather than just one or two all the time.

I don't know if you have Costco in Canada but they have a Danby for $399 and shipping is $40. Only one tap.

great, welcome to the wonderful world of kegging. my advice: keg an IPA as soon as you get everything hooked up and running. They are sooo much better on tap

Dude, look on CL for a used fridge, many are free, but ugly (perfect for the garage). Paint it up and drill some holes, add your taps. I get 6 kegs in my side by side "free" fridge.

There are dozens of posts on this site for info...use the search.

How do you get 6 kegs in a side by side? I'd love to see a picture of that.

I would guess the Walmart one would be set up for sanke keg and not a ball lock corny. I would just get a free or cheep mini fridge and kegerator tap kit and diy the thing.

Hey all,
Checked Walmart.com, fridge also looks good. In all likely hood they wouldnt ship it and if they would it would cost a lot for shipping I'm sure. :(

Sounds as if you have already made your decision, but for general info Walmart online normally ships for free to your local Walmart (trucks are already going there, right). Not sure it applies in Canada, but I've used it for US purchases. Same is true for Home Depot, Lowe's, and likely many other large chains.

Rick

How do you get 6 kegs in a side by side? I'd love to see a picture of that.

I got one of those too. I have 5 taps but can fit a 6th keg in the fridge to cool/carb.

17023324393_9feb732de6_z.jpg

17617357096_74dfa7d76b_z.jpg

That's awesome. Where do your air lines come into the fridge? I can only fit two in my side by side, but I have the tank in there. That, and part of the deal with the wife was that the fridge would still be somewhat functional, so I left the drawers in for the kid's juice boxes. Thanks for posting. Now I have something to aspire to.

That's awesome. Where do your air lines come into the fridge? I can only fit two in my side by side, but I have the tank in there. That, and part of the deal with the wife was that the fridge would still be somewhat functional, so I left the drawers in for the kid's juice boxes. Thanks for posting. Now I have something to aspire to.

This is the only pic I have (taken before the nitro was installed). The CO2 has 2 lines out. Each is connected to a 3 way manifold so I can carb to different levels or crank one up to force carb a keg in a day.

The Nitro has one 1 line and I added it to the left of the CO2 line.

I drilled holes through the side, sleeved the holes to prevent cuts in the lines, and then foam insulated around the lines to get a tight seal. My hillbilly side took over and used duct tape to frame around the holes to give it a cleaned-up look. I originally had 3 taps (click on the link in my signature if you want to see my DIY build).

I luckily got this fridge for free and put it in the basement. I currently have no children but I imagine one day I will have root beer on tap...

17456100420_fd75204674_z.jpg

Please tell me that all the meat in the freezer is deer or game! :goat:

BTW is all the frozen stuff alphabetized and cataloged? :rockin:

A guy I work with raises black Angus as a hobby (second job). I went in with some other coworkers and bought one his cattle. She was a big girl 1400#... :D So I ended up with 140 pounds of meat. And yes, it is labeled and cataloged. I am a little OCD. :drunk:

Back