Kegerator died...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthson

Reaction score
Hey,

I just discovered today that my kegerator, while still having power, isn't cooling a thing. Now that I've recovered from my sobbing, I am looking for some advise.

Will the beer in the keg be ok? Common sense says 'YES', but I've been known to lack common sense.

And, more importantly, will the beer in the lines be ok? Or should I disconnect everything, drain the lines, and clean them? I'd hate to have beer spoil in the lines. Now, common sense again tells me that there isn't a risk for spoilage...but...I'd hate to be wrong...

God...what am I going to do? I'd better dig through the fridge and see if I can find a bottle or two... :(

I would take the thing apart and clean everything. strip the lines, fittings, and soak it all in cleanser and dry it off. The keg will be just fine as long as it maintains a good seal and doesn't leak - cornie keg or 15.5 gallon?

was this a diy kegerator or a commercial one? warranty? do you know what went wrong with it? does the compressor kick on when plugged in?

Don't give up. Mine "died" and then I brought it back to life after I realized the $8 starter relay died.

It was a diy. I used a freezer that wasn't too old, but I bought it used for $50. No sign of the compressor kicking in.

I will disassemble it and clean it...damn! I've called an appliance guy. Hopefully he can find a simple fix so I don't need to build another one.

That sucks! Good luck....hopefully everything works out with the repairs and you can get this thing back in action. I hate the thought of ever having to disassemble my coffin keezer and swap freezers out.....what a PITA! Good luck. :mug:

Earthson said:
It was a diy. I used a freezer that wasn't too old, but I bought it used for $50. No sign of the compressor kicking in.

I will disassemble it and clean it...damn! I've called an appliance guy. Hopefully he can find a simple fix so I don't need to build another one.

My compressor wasn't working either. I would get a loud click from the overload relay which was from over current. If you find your starter relay it should shown very low resistance. If it is infinity and or very high resistance it is bad and that is your problem. Wouldn't surprise me if the appliance guy puts a hard start kit on it if it is something related to the compressor.

Back