Kegerator burping CO2 through faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lombard

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can help. Last week I picked up a 1/6 barrel of Magic Hat #9. Did my usual routine of letting it settle for a day before tapping it. I got one good pour out of it, then a fairly foamy one. After that, every pour burps out CO2 (same effect as when you pour your last glass from a keg).

I've tried both of my Sankey D couplers, and two separate beer lines/faucets. I've also done a visual inspection of the keg and nothing seems out of order.

I've also tried to let the keg settle and vented over the course of several days.

I've never had a problem like this before, and my home brew kegs in the kegerator pour just fine.

Anybody ever hear of a defective keg that somehow mixes incoming CO2 with the outgoing beer?

When this happens on a Cornelius keg, it's almost always a bad O-ring on the Out dip tube (and the other rare possibility is a pinhole leak in the Out dip tube above the beer level).

I don't know much of anything about Sanke kegs, but is it possible there's an O-ring involved?

Cheers!

Well, I managed to take the keg apart (twice). The first time I found the O-ring seemed to be improperly installed. Re-seated it and took a look at the flanges on both the spear and the keg. Everything looked good. Had the same effect.

Second time I took it apart, I double checked the integrity of both the O-ring and the flanges again. Everything looks good.

So I started inspecting the external seals on the keg. There seems to be an odd indentation on the rubber portion of the keg seal. Almost like somebody used a Sankey S style coupler and deformed the seal.

Calling the place where I bought it tomorrow. Gonna see if I can swap it out.

Going through old posts. I ended up getting the keg replaced. Never did solve the problem. Just a bad commercial keg I guess.

Back