Kegerator Basics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billjames

Reaction score
What are the most critical issues associated with maintaining a proper Kegorator?

Temperature, Pressure and Proper and Regular Cleaning are crucial in determining the success or failure of any draught beer dispensing system. A lapse in any of those three areas will most certainly doom any system. But that is the worst case scenario and can easily be avoided.

Temperature

This part of the guide will address the importance of temperature, insofar as it relates to the quality and success of a draught beer dispensing system. Included in the scope of this section are the following:

Proper temperature level
Common Problems Due To Improper Temperature Levels
Preventing Changes in Temperature

Proper Temperature Levels

Almost all problems that arise in draught beer systems are temperature related. Thus, it is critical that anyone operating a draught beer dispensing system such as a Kegorator understand the relationship between the beer in the keg and the temperature of the dispensing system through which it is delivered. The vast majority of draught beers, particularly in the United States, are non-pasteurized. Non-pasteurized simply indicates beer that has been chilled to very low temperatures during the packaging process. Thus, the bacteria responsible for fermenting the beer has become dormant. Hence, it is critical to keep these types of beer below 38 degrees. The correct temperature for storing or serving draught beer is 38° F and applies to all beers whether Imported or Domestic, Pasteurized or Non-Pasteurized. A consistent temperature range of 34-38° F is required so that the level of carbonation is the same as it was during the brewing process. Variances in temperature both above and below 36-38° F will negatively impact the beer.

Common Problems Due To Improper Temperature Levels

Beer Allowed to Warm
When draught beer becomes warm, the result is foam. Foam is created when the CO2 "breaks out" of the beer or is released. Even an increase of .5° F is enough to cause the beer to foam inside the keg. furthermore, warm draught beer manifests itself in a cloudy pour with a sour taste.
If the keg reaches temperatures over 50-55° F, bacterial growth will quickly overwhelm the contents of the keg. To illustrate this effect, think of milk left out on a countertop and allowed to reach similar temperatures. So, the bottom line is simple. Draught beer must remain cool.

Beer Allowed to Get Too Cold
If the beer is kept too cold, the carbonation will not be released and result in "flat" pours with significantly compromised taste. Also, beer will freeze if the temperature falls to 28° F and below.

Other temperature issues to be aware of, particularly if the beer is remotely dispensed (the beer line runs from the refrigerator unit to a tap), include a "false head," when the head appears as large bubbles that pop and fizz away quickly. This is attributed to a variance in temperatures between the beer line and keg.

It should be evident by now how crucial a role temperature plays in a successful draught beer dispensing system.

Preventing Changes in Temperature

Preventing changes in temperature is done by controlling the environment in which it is installed and from where it operates.

...read the full guide with pics here

The vast majority of draught beers, particularly in the United States, are non-pasteurized. Non-pasteurized simply indicates beer that has been chilled to very low temperatures during the packaging process. Thus, the bacteria responsible for fermenting the beer has become dormant. Hence, it is critical to keep these types of beer below 38 degrees. The correct temperature for storing or serving draught beer is 38° F and applies to all beers whether Imported or Domestic, Pasteurized or Non-Pasteurized. A consistent temperature range of 34-38° F is required so that the level of carbonation is the same as it was during the brewing process. Variances in temperature both above and below 36-38° F will negatively impact the beer.

Wait - is this true? I have my Mojo IPA at 50 degrees or so...
Bacteria responsible for fermentation? WTF?

If the keg reaches temperatures over 50-55° F, bacterial growth will quickly overwhelm the contents of the keg. To illustrate this effect, think of milk left out on a countertop and allowed to reach similar temperatures. So, the bottom line is simple.

What?

Am I way out of touch with reality here or is this info way off base?

If proper sanitation is maintained, no reason to worry about bacterial growth if the keg it kept at 50°. Hell, people age beers at cellar temp (off the gas) for months without any issues. The only thing I can think of is if there was some kind of real ale-type setup, where you were using a beer engine and allowing air to enter the keg - but in a cleaned, sanitized, closed system, there should be no problem with bacterial growth.

yeah I wouldn't listen to this person and definitely wouldn't buy his guide of bad information! Why are you looking for a draft beer guide on ebay? You're have best the Beer guide in the world here! (HBT, not me by any means)

Take a look at the other posts made today by the OP. I might be reading this wrong, but I have visions of a congealed meat product in a squarish metal can.

Someone needs to send a memo the bacteria in my house, because they are refusing to spoil the kegs and bottles of beer that sit at room temperatures (70-80 max) for 6 months before consumption.

Back