Keg tap height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickH

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a keg kit that I have completely enclosed in fridge. Lines, handle, everything. When I had a 1/6 barrel keg connected I didnt have any issues with foaming. At least it was minimal. I got a 1/2 barrel in now and I had to elevate the keg and remove the top shelf. Now I noticed a few spots where I believe the gas from the beer collects and when the gas pocket hits the spout it seems that it causes a foaming issue. Should the lines always be moving vertically in general so that there is no high point other than the spot to build up at? It might just be that they shook the crap out of it but I haven't had this setup long enough to what whats normal and whats not. Attached a picture of it previously. Now the truck is in the bottom of the door.

mykeg.jpg

Someone has to have an idea. I will say that I am also starting to notice a very tiny leak that I am tracking. It not an easy track down as its Very small. Few drips over a few hours. Trying to do the soap and water test but no bite(aka no bubbles). So I am sip tieing paper towels to find the origin. Think its the kegs Sanke connection though. We shall see. I am still curious for those that have a keg with 10 foot lines, do you have gasses build in the line from the beer in the line bubbling out some. Maybe when you pour does it let out a little puff before your beer comes out? I am unsure if the gas pockets are normal or because I am doing something wrong. Any help is much appreciated.

I think it is preferential to have your beer lines oriented vertically to avoid the problem that you are seeing with the bubbles in the beer line. I don't think it is necessary though. This symptom is usually seen when gas is coming out of solution. I've seen this in one of my lines before. One cause can be the beer in the line warming up. Another cause can be serving the beer at a pressure that is lower than the beer in the keg. This is what I tracked my problem to be. If you are serving commercial kegged beer this would not surprise me. they are often carbed at a higher pressure than typical homebrew levels. You could bleed the pressure off the keg some and see if this helps. As you continue to drink from that keg this issue should clear itself up anyway. FYI, I have 8 feet beer lines with a 2 foot elevation rise to my tap(i.e. plenty of resistance for typical serving pressure), and I still saw this foaming issue from the bubbles. So having longer beer lines shouldn't help much.

I thank you greatly! I did up the pressure and didn't see major improvement the first day. I had to go out of down for a day and a half and it seems to be ok now. So it was either the pressure or it shaken so bad it took multiple days to clear out. It is a commercial keg so it makes me wonder. Next keg I will make sure I have my pressure dialed up.(Was a little low I noticed after the first day so I had to adjust it up)

Good to hear. Your other option is bleed the pressure off the commercial keg, and then serve it at the pressure you prefer.

Back