Keg Pressure Dropping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
If you apply 30psi to a newly filled corny, and the temperature remains constant, and you remove the co2 bottle from the keg, will the pressure remain constant at 30psi or will the pressure drop as the liquid absorbs the co2? If the pressure drops then by how much, for example?

I'm trying to decide if I have a slow leak or not...

Yes the pressure will drop because the beer is absorbing the co2, I can't speak for time because I leave the pressure on overnight then it usually stays constant.

From what I understand. When C02 is absorbed into solution the headspace pressure will decrease. I'm new to Kegging so I'm not positive that's accurate.

Yes, if you shut off the gas supply to a pressurized keg, the pressure will drop as the beer absorbs CO2. How fast and far it drops will depend on the keg temperature, the starting carbonation level, and the ratio of the headspace volume to the beer volume (the less beer, the higher the final pressure will be.)

Brew on :mug:

Back