Keg pours foam when beer gets low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhusk

Reaction score
I did some searching but was hoping for some more direct feedback on the problem. I sort of have the same problem as this guy: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-pours-foamy-when-half-empty-433578/

I have 2 kegs in my kegerator with a 5# bottle. When I keg, I let sit on 30 PSI for 36 hours or so and then set at ~10 PSI for a few days and then it's ready. (Leave it at 10 the rest of the keg).

I recently had a lot of trouble with this setup. I had a red ale in a keg with about 2 gallons left and a new 5 gallon cream ale in the other. Both were set at 10 PSI (non-adjustable manifold) and the cream ale was pouring perfect. The red ale though would be almost an entire glass of foam on the FIRST pour. After the first pour of the night, it was about an inch or two which was close to perfect, maybe a little high..

Anyhow a couple questions. Why is so much foam being created? It is over carbed or is it normal for the first pour to be foam on heavier ales? It's not the first pour of the keg, just the first every time i drink out of it.

Would a new manifold fix this (adjust pressure individually per keg)? I didnt think i'd ever need it because most beers pour nicely at the same PSI anyhow. Is there another option? Should i de-carbonate it and redo the two gallons left?

Thanks

Has this foamy pour syndrome happened on other kegs? Other batches?
What are you using for beer lines - length and inside diameter?

Cheers!

I'm having the exact same problem - I have a closed keezer with picnic taps (so not concerned about temp of lines), and now that I'm kicking my very first keg, the pours have switched from perfect to 80% foam. PSI has not changed and was set at 12 for the entire time (set and forget).

is it possible beer is freezing or turning to slush? There is less thermal mass when the keg is low so maybe its not a problem when its full.

Back