Keg lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krduckman

Reaction score
So I have a need for some keg lubricant on one of my kegs because I have a small leak. Went to get it and someone misplaced it for me. This is the second tube that has been lost. I know I could order more from a brew shop, but don't really want to pay more for shipping than the lub.

So the question is, can I get food grade lub at a walmart or a Home Depot type place that would be ok to use for my keg? My LHBS is closed down now so that option isn't available any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I feel your pain on both points...I lost my tub of keg lube to the garage gnomes, but I did have some of this in my tool box:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-DANCO-12-oz-Waterproof-Grease-9D00080360/203193502

I believe Lowe's sells it too; I've used on the last 6-7 kegs, and have no complaints. The description stated it meets or exceeds FDA requirements for regulation 21. Did I look up said FDA regulation 21? Nope. Have I had any o-ring deterioration or off flavors in me beer? Nope.

I also feel your pain on Doug closing his doors. I bought 9 recipes and some gear from fim over the past couple weekends. Last Saturday he said someone offered to buy the store and remaining inventory from him, and Doug said if the funds went through it would be a go. Doug also said he would stay with the new owner a few months to show him the ropes; the time frame I was given was "a few weeks". Doug said he was definitely out of the game and needed someone to buy the place. I'm going to miss him for sure; his knowledge and inventory were AMAZING. I hope Jusit Brew It does indeed open back up.

Thanks Topher! I'll pick up some tomorrow.

Yes, I hate that Doug closed. I have learned a lot from him. Like you, I bought a lot of ingredients to hopefully cover me for a year. I also bought a Monster Mill to crush my grain.

I did hear Doug and Chris mention about the offer. I definitely hope it goes through. Just Brew It is just too convenient for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Glad to help! I hear ya on the extra ingredients; I'm hoping to have enough to get through June. Good luck in your brewing...it's always cool to find a fellow member in our neck of the woods.

I use coconut oil on mine. It is a solid at room temp so it works pretty well for me. Been doing it for a year now.

Nice work Topher. I'll be looking for that at Home Depot / Lowes on my next visit.

Thanks! I've also used it on my silicone gaskets (sparingly) when I take apart my weldless fittings to clean them and/or replace o-rings. With the temp range to 400F I feel comfortable with it, and haven't had any issues there, either.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-DANCO-12-oz-Waterproof-Grease-9D00080360/203193502[/url]

I believe Lowe's sells it too; I've used on the last 6-7 kegs, and have no complaints. The description stated it meets or exceeds FDA requirements for regulation 21. Did I look up said FDA regulation 21? Nope. Have I had any o-ring deterioration or off flavors in me beer? Nope.

I've got some of that same stuff. Silicone grease. It has a little different consistency than keg lube, but they both work just as good. .

K-Y Jelly works as well..........Unflavored, of course......

Topher79, krduckman...........Just BrewIt is staying open, if you have not heard.

One of our club members stepped up and took the plunge!

New owner's name is Ronnie, and is a helluva' nice guy!

It's a petroleum product, and it would work, but I wouldn't want any petroleum products near my beer.
Granted, it's only on the o-rings, but most ANY oils or greases are head killers, food grade oils or otherwise.

Back