Keg lines - replace or refurbish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been noticing some of my maltier beers taste great flat prior to kegging but then pickup noticeable off flavors (diacetyl in one line and a peppery note in the other) weeks after being on tap. One line appears to be fine (I have 3)

I typically run some pbw solution through my lines and leave it in there a few minutes, then run star San through and leave it until tapping. Going on 4 years and I have never opened up my perlick 525ss to clean.... So yeah I know I should do that.

What does everyone else do for line cleaning? Do you replace line after a certain # of kegs, never replace etc? Do I need to get stronger beer line cleaner?

I wish you hadn't posted this. I was trying to ignore this issue as long as possible.

I've noticed that I have a few gas lines that have somehow gotten a little backwash in them. I guess I have to look at cleaning them too.

Interested to hear answers to this question. My kegerator setup hasn't been up long enough to warrant any big deal cleaning, but I have circulated hot PBW through the bev lines that became empty - let it sit - and then filled with Starsan until the next keg was ready. This seems to be fine, but I haven't tapped anything lighter than an APA -yet. I'll be tapping a keg of Pilsener in about three weeks so...

I wish you hadn't posted this. I was trying to ignore this issue as long as possible.

I've noticed that I have a few gas lines that have somehow gotten a little backwash in them. I guess I have to look at cleaning them too.

Interested to hear answers to this question. My kegerator setup hasn't been up long enough to warrant any big deal cleaning, but I have circulated hot PBW through the bev lines that became empty - let it sit - and then filled with Starsan until the next keg was ready. This seems to be fine, but I haven't tapped anything lighter than an APA -yet. I'll be tapping a keg of Pilsener in about three weeks so...

So I ended up just biting the bullet and replacing. The same lines had been in service since 2011 and when i moved in 2013 they sat with warm beer for a weeks (so Im sure bad things happened). Went with the crazy expensive EJ Beverage antimicrobial tubing since I know I am lax on cleaning.

The good news is I also purchases a faucet cleaning brush and the perlick 525's were really in great condition. Nothing gross came out of them. ALl my metal is stainless in my setup so I just did a hot pbw soak and installed the new line.

Oetiker clamps are somewhat of a pain...

:mug:

Somewhere on this site I read that it's not good to leave starsan for long periods of time in the lines. I recirculate with hot pbw, flush with water, air dry (using my aquarium pump I use for aerating) and then reassemble everything and leave it until I hook up my next keg when I'll first flush some starsan through and let that sit for a few minutes before pushing that out with beer.

So I ended up just biting the bullet and replacing. The same lines had been in service since 2011 and when i moved in 2013 they sat with warm beer for a weeks (so Im sure bad things happened). Went with the crazy expensive EJ Beverage antimicrobial tubing since I know I am lax on cleaning.

The good news is I also purchases a faucet cleaning brush and the perlick 525's were really in great condition. Nothing gross came out of them. ALl my metal is stainless in my setup so I just did a hot pbw soak and installed the new line.

Oetiker clamps are somewhat of a pain...

:mug:

I have those same lines for my liquid side and since putting them on I've found that they don't hold odors or discolor like the old line I used. These have had almost 18 months on them now. Most importantly I don't have to pour out the first two ounces of every pour - after a few kegs, those ounces in the line would taste like wet newspaper/cardboard. The rest of the beer was fine, it was just the stuff in the lines. Not an issue now with the EJBev lines.

Back